88 fz600 HYas spark but then loses spark

9lence
This post is 4982 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought this bike awhile back and have never gotten it to run right sometimes it will fire right up and hit on all 4 and some time it runs on 2 cylenders sometimes it wont run at all I did some reading on here and unplugged cleaned and plugged back in the connections from the coil it seemed to help for about a minute then it went back to its old ways. I also unplugged the connections for the Ignition box under the tank and when I plugged it back in it was better to but always goes back to running like crap any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought this bike awhile back and have never gotten it to run right sometimes it will fire right up and hit on all 4 and some time it runs on 2 cylenders sometimes it wont run at all I did some reading on here and unplugged cleaned and plugged back in the connections from the coil it seemed to help for about a minute then it went back to its old ways. I also unplugged the connections for the Ignition box under the tank and when I plugged it back in it was better to but always goes back to running like crap any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated thanks

have you tried looking down the back of the sofa? when i lose things thats usually where they are. :D

have you tried looking down the back of the sofa? when i lose things thats usually where they are. :D

indeed I did look there.. All I found was a lighter that doesnt work and a empty pack of smokes... and the bike still doesnt run good lol :D.... but on a serious note any suggestions as to what could be going on with thing?

indeed I did look there.. All I found was a lighter that doesnt work and a empty pack of smokes... and the bike still doesnt run good lol :D.... but on a serious note any suggestions as to what could be going on with thing?

i'd say it sounds like knackered coils.

How about you swap the two coils for each other, then see if the problem appears on the other 2 cylinders, this will point confirm if it's the coil.

I can try that Do you mean the swap the connectors that come from the top of the coils or just swap the plug wires around??it is not always the same 2 cylinders but for the most part it is cylinder 2 and 3 and sometimes hey all fire and it runs good must be something small I am just missing it.

I can try that Do you mean the swap the connectors that come from the top of the coils or just swap the plug wires around??it is not always the same 2 cylinders but for the most part it is cylinder 2 and 3 and sometimes hey all fire and it runs good must be something small I am just missing it.

no you cant just swap the plug (HT) wires, I meant swap them both entirely..ie substitute one for the other.however if it is not always the same pair of cylinders it may be something else.

what have you done so far ?, changed plugs , looked at the fuel delivery to carbs ,checked pilots are not blocked? i think we need a few more details first

cheers

Al

no you cant just swap the plug (HT) wires, I meant swap them both entirely..ie substitute one for the other.however if it is not always the same pair of cylinders it may be something else.

Thank you very much for you reply's I have to get some gas in the bike before I can tinker on it anymore. then will update with what I find.. Out of curiosity what is a 88 fz600 with 8000miles on it in mint condition worth if it ever runs :D I was thinking 1200-1500 am I off?

what have you done so far ?, changed plugs , looked at the fuel delivery to carbs ,checked pilots are not blocked? i think we need a few more details first

cheers

Al

cleaned carbs changed plugs drained old gas and put new started it it ran good for a minute or so then started dropping cylinders but 5 minutes later when I go to start it after i mess with the connection to the ignition box and the connectors for the coils it runs on all 4 again and will do the same thing. sometimes It will crank and crank and crank and just backfire and not start at all

cleaned carbs changed plugs drained old gas and put new started it it ran good for a minute or so then started dropping cylinders but 5 minutes later when I go to start it after i mess with the connection to the ignition box and the connectors for the coils it runs on all 4 again and will do the same thing. sometimes It will crank and crank and crank and just backfire and not start at all

Me thinks ya just answered your own question. Loose Conections :)

Me thinks ya just answered your own question. Loose Conections :)

me thinks 2 wheels is right loose conection or iggy box is goosed , check you readings with a multi meter , could be a bad earth dont forget to waggle your wires while your taking the readings and see if the readings drop ,

has your loom been chopped near the iggy box any dodgy fusty connectors pull them out and give them a clean then a quick spray of wd40

Oh and wheres your location someone might just be down the road from you and can help

cheers

Al

me thinks 2 wheels is right loose conection or iggy box is goosed , check you readings with a multi meter , could be a bad earth dont forget to waggle your wires while your taking the readings and see if the readings drop ,

has your loom been chopped near the iggy box any dodgy fusty connectors pull them out and give them a clean then a quick spray of wd40

Oh and wheres your location someone might just be down the road from you and can help

cheers

Al

Thanks guys. no it has not been cut there was alittle crust in there i cleaned it out and shot with wd40 havent started it yet waiting on some gas. I am about to start messing with it again today.. I am located in Southern Illinois US....

I am located in Southern Illinois US....

Is that Chicago Illinois ?

Is that Chicago Illinois ?

No 7 hours south from chicago I am at the very bottom of the state. But the bike just ran excellent it even idled better gonna let it run for a couple twenty minutes and see if it stays on all 4 cylinders Thanks a bunch guys

No 7 hours south from chicago I am at the very bottom of the state. But the bike just ran excellent it even idled better gonna let it run for a couple twenty minutes and see if it stays on all 4 cylinders Thanks a bunch guys

A cheep result for ya then,,,thats good !

After the bike is idleing for a while splash a little water on each down pipe, if the water dries instantly then that cylinder is working fine.

Then off ya go for a good hard spinn to blow of the cobwebs !

A cheep result for ya then,,,thats good !

After the bike is idleing for a while splash a little water on each down pipe, if the water dries instantly then that cylinder is working fine.

Then off ya go for a good hard spinn to blow of the cobwebs !

Well I just rode it about 3 miles and it got better and better and better every time I rapped it out it was cleaner and that was my first time riding a street bike but it screams between 8500-10,000 :D now for sale before i hurt myself cheers to all and thanks again

Well I just rode it about 3 miles and it got better and better and better every time I rapped it out it was cleaner and that was my first time riding a street bike but it screams between 8500-10,000 :D now for sale before i hurt myself cheers to all and thanks again

Is that it then, or will we hear from you again

used and abused again :(:(:huh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online