'89 xj600 electrical problem

gearboxkart
This post is 4926 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

on the '89 xj600 pr-divvy is there more than 1 type of regulator/rectifier that will fit and work ? the 1 fitted to mine has no fins its the 1 thats oblong filled with black resin and bolted to a alloy plate under the left side panel and has a 4 pin plug 3 white and 1 red cables.

Battery went flat a few weeks ago so i recharged and a few days later went flat again mmmm so got the meter out and put it across the battery and it gives 14v at tickover but put the lights on or touch any other electical switch horn/brake lights and it dives to 11.5v, switch lights off and it takes 4-5 mins to slowly creep back up above 12v. i disconnected the plug at the rectifier and metered across the 3 whites from the alternator and they all give well over 15v i also did a resistance test across the 3 whites and they are 0.03ohm so thhats about right with the haynes manual so alternator seems ok, so this tells me the rectifier which has printed on it 47X-A2, i went to a bike shop near me at the weekend he had a 47X-A0 we changed it but that did nothing it was just the same so i take it only the 47X-A2 will work unless any1 knows different, startig to do my head in now :(

also fitted brand new battery friday thought it might of been a battery fault but no its just the same, is it right the '89 and later dont have a brush set in the alternator and are just magnets!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

on the '89 xj600 pr-divvy is there more than 1 type of regulator/rectifier that will fit and work ? the 1 fitted to mine has no fins its the 1 thats oblong filled with black resin and bolted to a alloy plate under the left side panel and has a 4 pin plug 3 white and 1 red cables.

Battery went flat a few weeks ago so i recharged and a few days later went flat again mmmm so got the meter out and put it across the battery and it gives 14v at tickover but put the lights on or touch any other electical switch horn/brake lights and it dives to 11.5v, switch lights off and it takes 4-5 mins to slowly creep back up above 12v. i disconnected the plug at the rectifier and metered across the 3 whites from the alternator and they all give well over 15v i also did a resistance test across the 3 whites and they are 0.03ohm so thhats about right with the haynes manual so alternator seems ok, so this tells me the rectifier which has printed on it 47X-A2, i went to a bike shop near me at the weekend he had a 47X-A0 we changed it but that did nothing it was just the same so i take it only the 47X-A2 will work unless any1 knows different, startig to do my head in now :(

also fitted brand new battery friday thought it might of been a battery fault but no its just the same, is it right the '89 and later dont have a brush set in the alternator and are just magnets!

I'm no good with electrical problems but my mate had a very simular prob with his bike a few weeks ago. Them reg/rec that have no fins and are filled with resin ARE CRAP. You are better off getting one of the cast ones with the fins. Your altinator seems to be putting out the right volts but then from the reg/rec the power is lost. After a LOT of feckin arround my mate got the fined type reg/rec and hasnt had a prob since.

iv more or less went thru the whole wiring today and found the plug hidden under the fuel tank retaining bolt that has the 3 white cables coming from the alternator all crispy and a melted mess so iv sorted all that out but just the same so a new reg/rectifier on its way, rechecked the voltages at the regulator plug after i sorted the melted plg and im getting a good 20v at tickover and 50v when above 2500+rpm so voltages to the rectifier seems fine, just hope the new reg/rec sorts it out, really i want to keep everything on the bike standard so changing the type of rectifier i would like to keep the stock 1, if i get probs again i may think about it but its still got the original 1 on atm so its lasted well till the plug melted and shorted it out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online