luggage rack

hellforleather
This post is 4701 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all purchaced a lovely bike 1300a midnightstar got it's first service last week . asked the dealer re: rear luggage rack Butlooked at it and i mentioned that the number plate is in the way and you would not be able to fit it . has any one got any useful solutions

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard the Yammy one can snap if overloaded... checkout THIS one. It's from the US but reportedly very good. I had a local welder make me one, painted it black and put a trunk on top as seen HERE

You could also look to LAY DOWN the nummber plate but not sure whether you could fit a rack over the top without obstructing it...

Graham

This is why I prefer Customs over Classics...

Can you not just hang the number plate off the back of the rack?

I see a lot of modded bikes with the plates off to one side, too.

I thought of moving my no plate to the side but with the bags on there wasn't really space... The number plate is by far the worst design feature on the 1300 (particularly given the size of the UK plates). I still don't understand why they don't fit them to the bottom of the rear fender??

They have to be at a certain height, perhaps?

Hang it off the back edge of the rack and fit a string to it, so you can flip it up as you go through speed cameras!! :lol:

They have to be at a certain height, perhaps?

Hang it off the back edge of the rack and fit a string to it, so you can flip it up as you go through speed cameras!! :lol:

:D:D - me likes!

• 6 months later...

I've heard the Yammy one can snap if overloaded... checkout THIS one. It's from the US but reportedly very good. I had a local welder make me one, painted it black and put a trunk on top as seen HERE

You could also look to LAY DOWN the nummber plate but not sure whether you could fit a rack over the top without obstructing it...

Graham

Hi Graham

is there any chance you can say where you had the rack made and were did you get that top box and top box rack from it's great

Hi Kinder - saw your PM first and replied, however will repost here.

I had a luggage rack made - cost me £80ish from a local welder... am happy to post some close up pics if you want... or depending on when you want it you can get a chrome luggage rack from value accessories in the USA (http://store.valueac...EMBrackets.aspx) either way they attach to the sissy bar. I actually went to the welders on my bike and took the picture of the VA rack with me, and he used this as a template for my rack. DON'T BUY THE YAMAHA RACK - its not strong enough for a top box (max load 10kgs).

I got my DMY trunk from a site in the US (http://www.mutazu.co...ries&s=prod.php). I ordered the pad for the box as well and used it to replace the upright part of the Sissy bar. Also ordered a rack for the top to tie the tent on.

What colour bike did you get?

Graham

• 2 months later...

Hi Kinder,

My trunk is able to hold 1 full face helmet only (but not much else). I tend to lock my helmets to the bike rather than use the box... You can fit a Givi box instead which will hold 2 full face helmets (though not much else)...

Oh [edit doesn't work] I had to go back about a week later as he had quite a bit on...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online