FZ6 Fazer

Skint
This post is 7301 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Found a mint 1999 Fazer... its got 17500 on the clock..

I intend to put big mileage on the bike about 40K, lots of motorway work..

Will the engine last? for how long??

How easy is it to self service?? How easy are the vlave adjustments??

Will the fazer last english winters and the road salt, is the corrossion excessive..?

Are the clutches easy to replace and obtain parts for??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Found a mint 1999 Fazer... its got 17500 on the clock..

I intend to put big mileage on the bike about 40K, lots of motorway work..

Will the engine last? for how long??

How easy is it to self service?? How easy are the vlave adjustments??

Will the fazer last english winters and the road salt, is the corrossion excessive..?

Are the clutches easy to replace and obtain parts for??

Firstly....it's an FZS600.

The YZF600R motors are superb....however a lot depends on the treatment it's had so far. Regular quality oil changes are essential, so I'd look at the SH carefully.

Self service? Couldn't tell you cos I'm no mechanic. But from what I can remember 24K is the big one.

Early Fazers had seriously crap headights and downpipes that tended to rot. But there are products out there now that can protect your bike reasonably well, but you'll still need to be keeping a close eye on it.

Clutches available next day from Fowlers or Damerells. Can't advise on fitting though.

HTH

engine wise, keep a check on the rocker cover gasket, prone to leaking and regular valve adjustments/oil changes and it will last a lifetime...so to speak :lol:

oh and :hi by the way :wink:

The fazer is there to be used and I know loads of people who've racked up high mileage through commuting and touring. There are plenty of 40k + fazers out there still going strong.

If you get the older model with crap headlights then all you need to do is this simple headlight mod

Corrosion wise the bike will be fine as long as you look after it. Service the brakes before winter and grease the bolts so that they don't completely seize up. People do use them all year round and, as with most bikes, regular maintenance really pays off in the long term.