repositioning frame number on xvs

dan28
This post is 5067 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i bought my xvs as a unfinshed project it came with log book that was registered to the previous owner who i bought it off the frame has been resprayed an there is no frame number

i can only assume that instead of the number being stamped into the frame

its on a sticker like this ?

bujr66wewkkgrhqihdwevq7.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

( click pic to enlarge an look below the white sticker

the bike has been hpi checked an is clear

i ve had a plate made with the frame number on what i want to know is does the number have to be a certain size font

an should i mount the plate in the orignal place or somewhere different

i ve removed the paint from the area where the number is found an there are no signs of it being tampered with

but if i stick the plate in the origanl place its possible people may think i am hiding something 9(i am not though pics of the removed paint will be up soon)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i don't know the legality of your question,but the engine number on my bike has been re-stamped to match the frame number,

i have never had a problem with insurance or mot as everything tally's with the log book.the only advise i would offer is to get on with it.

and maybe check with dvlc/dvla,,:blink: it's one of them .

as long as its the same numbers, then there wont be any problem putting it on top of the old one, as all they will do is check in the data base and everything will tally up, ur not doing owt wrong so why worry? legality wise your not tampering with it your just replacing the damaged one with an exact copy so no worries there m8.

After having a frame powder coated and making the frame number unreadable, i was told to stamp the number on a plate and fix that to my frame by the local MOT tester. Didn't mention font size but said to stick it over the original number, so i presume its best to keep it in the same location. 

HTH

I don't know what year the bike is but as a rule after 1995 most vehicles have VIN numbers. These are distinctly different from chassis numbers.

VIN numbers identify one actual machine - tempering with them is a criminal offence with some pretty stiff and mandatory penalties. IE moving them will land you in hot water.

Chassis numbers are just a means of identifying a frame or chassis - under certain circumstances it is OK to transfer them.

I Just looked at your photos - thats a VIN - mess with it and if you get stopped and checked expect to have the bike taken off you and some serious explaining to do. MOT centres have to report altered VINs to the Police as well.

I don't know what year the bike is but as a rule after 1995 most vehicles have VIN numbers. These are distinctly different from chassis numbers.

VIN numbers identify one actual machine - tempering with them is a criminal offence with some pretty stiff and mandatory penalties. IE moving them will land you in hot water.

Chassis numbers are just a means of identifying a frame or chassis - under certain circumstances it is OK to transfer them.

I Just looked at your photos - thats a VIN - mess with it and if you get stopped and checked expect to have the bike taken off you and some serious explaining to do. MOT centres have to report altered VINs to the Police as well.

speedshop

the vin in the pic isnt mine i found the pic on line

that sticker is not on my bike

as i said its been resprayed an there are no numbers stamped into the frame so i guess all the info is found on that sticker? :( an its been removed when the fram,e was sandblasted an powder coated

speedshop

the vin in the pic isnt mine i found the pic on line

that sticker is not on my bike

as i said its been resprayed an there are no numbers stamped into the frame so i guess all the info is found on that sticker? :( an its been removed when the fram,e was sandblasted an powder coated

yeah everything is on that sticker well.....was, think your best bet is give the dvla a call and see where you stand

makes sense now

what other info is on the sticker i am guessing nothing that cant be found by doing a hpi check

i was told that as long as it the frame number mounted on the frame it will be fine