I'm going to be on TV

fazer6
This post is 7285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I had a cracking couple of days. The weather wasn't so good so I didn't really get a chance to properly try the bikes out. Also you can't go too fast when you're following a car with a camera crew in the back!

Bike #1 normal_P1010031.JPG

Bike #2 normal_P1010034.JPG

Bike #3 normal_P1010033.JPG

As you can see the bikes are really a little high for me but it didn't matter that much for a bit of messing around. The camera man from the back of the car actually mentioned that I looked fairly small on the bikes.

There's some more piccies from my day here.

And just to please you men there's some nice fran piccies here

The weather really didn't help trying sports bikes for the first time. When you can't get much of your foot on the floor you're very careful riding other people's bikes in the rain. But at least I didn't have to clean them afterwards.

The R6 - well I had a bad example in that the frame was slightly bent, if you looked close you could see it was accident damaged (filler in the engine case, new subframe, fairings didn't quite fit..). Having said that I just felt I was sitting on the bike rather than in it, I've obviously been too used to the luxury of the fazer bars too as my wrists didn't like the riding position. But the seat was well comfy, very suprising for a sports bike. Oh and the gearbox was a lot smoother than the fazer but still a yam gearbox. Looks wise this certainly was the prettiest of the bunch, height and weight wise better suited to me too.

CBR - Well what can you expect from a honda seat? I think they just got a bit of mdf and covered it in vinyl. Riding position was much improved on the R6, it did feel like a bigger bike when stationary, took 2 attempts to get off the sidestand. Moving it was quite nice really. Most of my day was spent following the camera crew in a van and doing some 'dummy overtakes' so in the rain I didn't really get to give any of the bikes some stick. I had one oops moment over a little petrol spill but nothing major.

ZX6 - Comfier seat than the honda and the best riding position of the lot. It was a noticably bigger bike than the others. The gearbox was really smooth, very noticable after riding a yam. I was overall very suprised with all 3 bikes that the power was not really scary, I mean it's there if you want it and at lower revs it's not that different from my fazer. I don't think the brakes are as good as my fazer though, still in that weather I wasn't going to test that theory.

To be brutally honest I don't think I need the extra performance that those bikes have to offer. I need to commute, go on long rides out and weekends away, and plan the odd trip abroad. None of them bikes would allow me to comfortably do all that. I'd need flat bars, perhaps more wind protection from the screen, a more upright riding position - hey sounds like a fazer to me.

While I can only justify having 1 bike the fazer does it for me, I like my life, health and license too much for a sports bike. The riding position would be sustainable for long periods of time and my bike really does have more than enough power on the right roads. I don't know why sports bike riders do that too themselves, I mean they'll end up crippled.

Still for the purposes of the TV I did choose a bike though. You'll have to wait and see which.

I think the main benefit is that I now know the grass really aint greener on the other side. I'd been wondering what bike I'd get next, and what I could ride as an alternative bike. I blatently don't ride hard enough to need the extra performance from a sports bike, and I go on a lot of 200+ mile day trips out, so all in all I have chosen the best bike.

Once it's out of warranty I can do things like getting a k&n air filter, sportier end can... I'm also going to get a gel pad in my seat and get it resprayed and other various cosmetic/comfort mods. I could do with a touch more torque sometimes especially as the blokes I ride with are mainly on litre bikes, but I do have the advantage that my engine isn't struggling to pull around a belly full of pies!

Rain avoidance techniques eh? Sounds quite advanced, don't you have to be IAM for that? :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online