XJ600 Repair

Mr Creosote
This post is 5006 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks! This is my first post and already I'm scrambling for info. I need to replace the fork stantions on my bike as they are a bit pitted (as you would expect for a 20 year old bike). Now the cheapest Ive been able to find in the UK is from a company called Busters Accessories. They sell them for £80 each. What I need to know is can they be found cheaper (what do you expect from a Jock)anywhere else and is Busters a reputable company? I'd be glad to have your input!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i managed to pick up a good used set off ebay for £12, cost me £10 each way in fuel to go and collect them on the bike though (90 miles each way...)

its just a case of keeping a lookout for used parts on ebay and the like,

Cheers all, new member here:

I have a 94 Seca2 XJ600rebuilt from crash parts which had been sitting for years (lots of work and constant maintenance).

My current issue is the crankshaft oil seal (left side behind ignition rotor), manuals show lipped seal, I understand new seal doesn't have a lip to allow replacement without splitting crankcase, however, can I remove the old one without splitting the crankcase?

PS I do have wiring diagrams I could email (downloaded the manual pdf from somewhere, I don't remember where or I'd post the link)

Cheers all, new member here:

I have a 94 Seca2 XJ600rebuilt from crash parts which had been sitting for years (lots of work and constant maintenance).

My current issue is the crankshaft oil seal (left side behind ignition rotor), manuals show lipped seal, I understand new seal doesn't have a lip to allow replacement without splitting crankcase, however, can I remove the old one without splitting the crankcase?

PS I do have wiring diagrams I could email (downloaded the manual pdf from somewhere, I don't remember where or I'd post the link)

you might wanna start a new thread for this.....

How many miles is on it Mr Creosote (put your real name in this is too much to type) ?, yep Busters are one to trust, but they are stockists/agents so they are getting their stuff from someone else and adding a mark-up, thats beside the point, if the bike is in good nick otherwise then it would be a good investment to spend £160 to have new forks stantions-its a lot of dosh but this bike will just go on and on if looked after, or you could bide your time and wait for flea-bay to chuck something your way :mellow:

Cheers Barker!! Aye! Its Tam. I didnt want to buy off of Ebay cause you really dont know what your getting. I could end up with two pitted sets of sliders!! I think £160 is a fine price as the bike is in REALLY good nick... goes like a bottle rocket too! LOL! Oh! I didnt answer the question! Its got 36K on the clock which I can easily believe judging by the condition....and I only paid £650 for it!! Effing deal I say!

I say, thats an Effing deal m8, in dog years that bike is about 7 ,, good find Tam B)

Maybe I should throw in a happy snappy to prove my point? Also, would you believe, it looks like the original exhaust! The bloke I bought it from even threw on new tyres, new chain & sprocket set and a new battery! Diamond Geezer!! Oh and a new MOT!

No! I dont think I could find the way to Crail! We have a damn good 1/2 mile between Burghead and Kinloss. Unfortunately the Bobbies watch it like a hawk. Picked up a few points in the car on that stretch. Tell me about Crail though, I'm well interested now!!

Its the old airfield, now used as a drag track and general hooligan venue, gonna plan a trippy to Findhorn at some point in the near-its not far from you Tam B)

Oh man, you'll love it! Findhorn is a rare wee place, only 2 miles away and the beaches are braw! Forres has some of the best gardens Ive ever seen (Grant Park is phenominal). And the pies!!!!! MMMMMMM!

Fancy a trip yourself Pat, how many miles would that be ? :blink:

Miles,,,,,,305 + hour on the ferry ! one way.

When ya thinkin,,,,,,,,Spring ?

Edited ! !

Tis 305 miles + hour on the ferry, one way ! :mellow:

Looks like a nice wee spot.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online