73 CT 175 odd behavior

Gregg Miller
This post is 5088 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My CT 175 used to run great, after some time in storage, it starts up perfectly and will run ok with the choke on, but as soon as I push the choke in (to turn it off), it revvvs like a maniac and stalls.

Two different people told me that it had to be a leak in the rubber boot, but I've checked and rechecked and don't think there's a leak there anywhere.

Any other ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Throttle slide inside the carb sticking------just a guess.

Spray arround the inlet rubber with wd40 to make sure of no air leaks.

The 175 experts will be along shortly ! !

My CT 175 used to run great, after some time in storage, it starts up perfectly and will run ok with the choke on, but as soon as I push the choke in (to turn it off), it revvvs like a maniac and stalls.

Two different people told me that it had to be a leak in the rubber boot, but I've checked and rechecked and don't think there's a leak there anywhere.

Any other ideas?

What do you mean push the choke in to turn it off?

He he , oops.

Does sound like a leak of some sort. When you say it runs ok have you actually ridden it.

He he , oops.

Does sound like a leak of some sort. When you say it runs ok have you actually ridden it.

Yeah, I can ride it with the choke on, but it's not great (tends to stall after a while and at faster speeds or higher gear) I've had the carb completely apart and cleaned it several times. I used compressed air on all the jets to clear them out.

I tested the rubber boot for leaks by actually putting it over my mouth and sealing the other end with my hand and couldn't get any air leakage.

Throttle slide inside the carb sticking------just a guess.

Spray arround the inlet rubber with wd40 to make sure of no air leaks.

The 175 experts will be along shortly ! !

If there was a leak, would it be pushing air out, or sucking it in? (i.e. what should I be looking for when I spray the wd40?)

If there was a leak, would it be pushing air out, or sucking it in? (i.e. what should I be looking for when I spray the wd40?)

It will be sucking air in.

You might see a few air boubles but your not really looking for anything,,,,you are listening to the engine to here if it starts idleing better and running smother.

If ya had the carb apart, just make sure the throttle slide was put in the correct way arround.

Putting the rubber boot over your mouth is a good idea but the engine will suck way harder that you can blow so your test wont be acurate enough.

Also, check your throttle twist to make sure it springs back fully closed.

HTH

it will be sucking air in, you would be lookinf for (or should I say lstening for) a marked change in engine speed / sound

when it is racing spray the inlet boot, the cylinder base gasket, the cylinder head gasket and lastly spray the left hand crank seal (through the slots on the flywheel)

with clever use of the choke you should be able to keep the bike running while you do this

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online