Tap tap tap...

wild foamy
This post is 4884 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps

Been riding the XJ for a few weeks now and I'm happy with it, however, I've noticed when pulling away under load it taps or clicks, however when decelerating it doesn't tap.

Is there a known cause for this and is there anything I can do apart from stripping and rebuilding the engine to fix it?

-Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ogoab has probably hit the nail on the head but you can also have a tight spot on the chain, and the chain has been adjusted incorrectly because of this.

it tends to click under strain.

if there is no signs of seized links roll the bike forward testing the chains tension every 8 inches or so and adjust correctly on the tightest spot you can find. chris

oh well , that was the easiest fix, i get a little clutch rattle if i pull away with too little throttle, can you give any more information. chris

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just a thought, I had a 2002 XJ600 which developed a tapping noise from the engine, found out it was caused by a weak spring on the cam chain adjuster shoe. On the front of the engine between cylinders 2 & 3 you will find a hexagon headed stud behind which is the spring, When I had the problem the mechanic removed this stud & pushed a thin steel bar into the hole to increase the tension on the spring, this stopped the noise, the cure - a new spring.

The noise on my bike occured all the time though, but might be worth investigating.

Regards

Bri

Hey Foamy

I know you say it is a tapping noise so this is probably not the problem (but you never know).

I had a tapping/popping problem last summer. It appeared to be coming from the top front end of the engine. The noise would appear after the engine warmed up. It was most noticeable when the bike was accellerating but was also present (and very annoying) when it was cruising at a steady speed. If the bike was in neutral and you opened up the throttle you could also hear it. It took a lot of looking to track it down and it turned out to be an air leak in the rubber intake boot between the carb and the cylinder. We had to replace the boot and the small ruber O ring at the cylinder.

Good luck.

Rocky

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online