Please HELP!!

XJ Chick
This post is 5103 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have recently passed my direct access, and wanted a "cheap first big bike", not got a lot of money as my two kiddies spend it all before I earn it and so bought a 1991 XJ600 off ebay for a 'bargain' price. It was running a bit rough, the fuelling / power seemed to be quite on and off at a constant throttle, and it dumped a huge chunk of oil from the engine while it was parked up at work. So my dad agreed to have a look at it. He has found some quite disturbing things and seems to have hit a wall. It has mikuni carbs and K&N filters. The oil spurts out at very high pressure when you turn the engine on via some kid of breather pipe.

My dad sent me the info below - can anyone give any suggestions, any help would be very much appreciated, as I feel like I have blow the money and made a very big boo boo in buying it.

It appears to be made up of parts from a variety of bikes.

The carburettor block appears to have two surplus fuel connectors. These are open and fuel flows freely when carbs are tilted. I have been unable to identify these on any Mikumi carb illustrations. Please see attached photos. Placement between carbs 1 and 2, 3 and 4.

Have you any idea what if any purpose these are for?

Problems,

Unstable running at 1200rpm, (normal traffic speed in fourth gear)

Blasts of oil from engine breather tube, whilst warming up.

Very high fuel consumption.

Poor running with intermittent power surges.

Ignition timing appears ok.

Test 1. Set throttle stop to run at 1200rpm.

Started misfiring after a few seconds.

Blue flame seen moving inside vacuum tube towards fuel tank. This Pulsed in time with the ‘misfire’.

Put flame arrester in pipe before retesting.

Test 2. Ran bike at 1200rpm again for a few minutes. Not misfiring, no visible flame.

Engine then self accelerated and I had to turn off ignition immediately it had reached just under 6000rpm.

On examination fuel was flowing out of the air filter on number three carb.

Reluctantly removed carbs’ from bike,.for examination.

They appear to have been cleaned recently. The float compartment of the flooding carb’ appears almost identical and set up the same as no.4 carb.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.