dragstar 125 lost key/how to remove ignition barrel

AlexRowe
This post is 5025 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

i'm a complete noob to biking so forgive me if this sounds dumb. I recently bought a yamaha dragstar 125 and (rather stupidly) managed to loose the only key i had. Unfortunately i do not have the key number so cannot just order a new one. I spoke to a locksmith who said he could make me a new one for £25 if i brought him the ignition barrel. the question is, how do i remove the ignition barrel? there seems to be some sort of plastic panel which the barrel pokes out of, i can't for the life of me work out how to get this panel off and i'd really rather not have to cut it off.

thanks,

Alex

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

i'm a complete noob to biking so forgive me if this sounds dumb. I recently bought a yamaha dragstar 125 and (rather stupidly) managed to loose the only key i had. Unfortunately i do not have the key number so cannot just order a new one. I spoke to a locksmith who said he could make me a new one for £25 if i brought him the ignition barrel. the question is, how do i remove the ignition barrel? there seems to be some sort of plastic panel which the barrel pokes out of, i can't for the life of me work out how to get this panel off and i'd really rather not have to cut it off.

thanks,

Alex

Howdy Alex, welcome to the YOC B)

Cant help ya with your problem,,,,,,id need to see it with my own eyes. BUT

Can you not call one of them (call out lock smiths), mobile locksmith. He could come to you and mabe he wouldnt need the barrel off at all.......Just a thaught !

You're not alone, that happened to me too... I've done the same and send the ignition barrel away, when it came back it fitted the ingnition but didn't fit anything else so had to send it again but had to send the seat lock as well, so they've had two locks to check it... On my bike it's only a alankey bolt that holds the barrel... Wouldnt know how to remove yours sorry, but would advise u to send more than one lock or u might end up with the same problem as me...

If you have proof of ownership, take all that along (with the bike) and they will impression the lock, then cut a new set of keys from that, to fit the existing lock.

If they won't, they are not decent lockies and you should find another one.

its allot of hassle to get it off but here it goes.

1.take seat off

2.undo bolt closest to tank (under the seat)

3.take off the chrome speedo to undo the speedo cable and wiers

4.turn petrol tap off and disconnect the pipe

5.lift the back of the tank and pull back-wards (walk it out)

6.put tank to one side

7.undo the black plastic surround(might need to take coils off)and it clips together

8.have a good look at the lock and see how it attaches (i forget what mine is like at this point)

9.disconnect wiers and undo fixings

10.have a cup of tea (done)

11.put back together in reverse order

as i said its allot of hassle! so probs best get a decent lock smith.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online