2007 FZ1 ~36k lost 2 cylinders

stoggy
This post is 5104 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

2007 FZ1 ~36k miles lost 2 cylinders - i don't have a lot of technical knowledge. I can change my oil, i took my radiator off to get to the plugs, and i know how to put it back on.

2 Fridays ago I was going to work. I was going along the highway about 70 everything seemed fine. I got off the highway and i got caught at a light and when the light changed i went to take off my bike sounded like a V-twin. It had no power either. I was real close to work so i went ahead and rode in. That night I rode home, at first it sounded bad but a little gas and it came back, about 2k rpm. So i started to ride home, about 1 mile out it shut down again, I would get spurts of 4 cylinders but mostly seemed to be only 2.

Of course it may be 3 cylinders or even 1 ...

I got the radiator off to check the plugs. If facing the front of the bike the right most plug looks oil fouled. Not really bad but definitly some. The other 3 look a little on the white side. I tried pulling each of the plugs 1 by 1 and starting the bike with 1 plug against the block. Each time the empty socket made a air popping sound, but i didn't get any sparks. I was able to start it after putting it back together but it sounded really weak.

Any suggestions where to look?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had a similar experience with my Thundercat; turned out one of the plugs had fouled. They can't be cleaned.

Try swapping your decent plug(s) to a plug HT thats not sparking.

Good luck