TDR125 Carb

Bindason
This post is 5026 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

I bought A tdr125 about 7 months ago as a non runner, i removed the carb and after 3 or 4 times cleaning it trough it finally fired up.

It ran fine for 5 months and i hardly did anything to it, then one day the 2 stroke pump stopped working and i came to a abrupt stop, yep you guessed it the piston picked up in the bore and i had to strip it down and get the head skimmed, new piston and rings (bearing, gaskets etc...)

This was the first time i have ever stipped a bike apart ( I am a car mechanic though)but thought well whilst i am doing the top end i might as well clean up the bottom end, and replace a few gaskets and new nuts and bolts throughout.

I have it all back together now but it wont start, i have good compression (135) and a good spark, so i am guessing maybe my carb is knackered. I have tried pouring a little fuel into the engine (through the spark plug hole) it almost fires but just doesn't want to fire up. I have also tried bump starting it, this again nearly started but still wont fire up.

Anyone got any sugestions as to what i can try next?

I am guessing maybe the carb is completely knackered, as the air filter was full of crap and half the padding(foam) had come off it and obviously been sucked into the carb. Would just rejetting it get me out of trouble? or should i just swallow it and get a new carb??

If so any good plavces to pick up a new/pattern part carb?

Its a PHBH28vs carb.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi CDB

The bike is on a 96 plate.

I didn't mention but I made a huge school boy error when i fitted the lower barrel gasket and it ripped and leaked coolant into the crank, I drained what I thought was all of the water out and fitted a new gasket.

I have just pulled the carb back off for another clean and i noticed the inlet rubber was soaked on the inside, so knowing it did have water in it I took the reed out and turned the engine over, water is still in the crank can see it when the shaft rotates, is there a way of draining the water out without taking the engine back out?

I have looked for a drain plug but cant see one. I have no manuals for the bike and as I said i'm new to bikes, I didn't realise the fuel/air enters the crank before the cylinder.

Any help would be really appreciated, sorry for not mentioning it earlier (bit embarrassing :blush: )

noobs dont you just love us

Guest CardBoardDave

No worries

Can you dry it out with compressed air through the reed block? or is it like flooded soaked

If you do dry it out with air before you try start it chuck some two stroke oil in via the reed and turn it over in 1st with the wheel

I wouldn't say flooded but I think its pretty wet in there!

Good plan I will ask the neighbour to borrow his trailer and get it to the garage and see if it will blow out.

If not i think I will just pull the engine out again and drain it properly and then blow it out dry like you said.

Thanks again for all the help

Guest CardBoardDave

If you are having to take out the engine and spliting top off you might aswell flush out the bearings with petrol too, about a mug full tiped into the crank turned over by hand a bit and tip it out. Keep doing it till there is no glittery bits in the petrol

Remember to drop oil into the holes on both sides and turn the crank before you rebuild it.

SHE'S ALIVE!!!

After managing to borrow a compressor from a friend I blew the bottom end out it fired up first try!

Its a bit smokey but hopefully that will burn off and be okay after 5 mins, I will finish putting it back together now, I was just so excited it works I had to tell someone!

Thanks for the help CBT and who ever posted that diagram/flash thing of how a 2 stroke works-sorry i forget who it was and it took me ages to find the first time and i'm desperate to get back out there and finish it off.

Great site great help

thanks again

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online