Noob to the forum

Swagga
This post is 5107 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, names Swagga and I picked up a 1997 Dragstar 650 the other week and I got totally ripped off, bloke assured me it was ready for MOT but I needed it before he could do it so I got him to knock off £50 and I'd take it off his hands.. Little did I know till I got it back and looked her over, it needed....

• New indicators
  • Chopped rear hugger needed reinforcing
  • Completely new wiring loom
  • Brake lights needed repairing
  • New No. plate bracket was made
  • New front inidcator brackets had to be made
  • Front mudguard fixed and fitted
  • A broken petrol cap removed (in bits) from inside the tank
  • Front brake pads replaced
  • New front tyre
  • Headlamp needed fixing
  • Engine L.E.D.s were falling off so removed

And that was just the main things that needed doing for MOT.. anyway, after 2 days and one sleepless night she was ready and I got her through MOT. Now the blasted thing isn't keeping charge. It will be fine for 50 miles and then it'll die without word of warning. She will bump fine and idle but as soon as she pulls away in gear she dies again. So I am guessing Regulator or Battery or both?? Apart from ebay, anyone got any good sites or numbers for cheap parts??

However, apart from that she is a great bike with a load of potential to be better. Once she is done I'll try get some pics up. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!!

Swagga

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the 'ward' Swagga sounds like you got your work cut out there m8, but its MOT'd for a full year now, its a good feeling lets hope Brussels dont get their way ! :)

Hi & welcome to the site, I'm new too and found some good info on this site already... I had similar problem with my new bike... Lot more work to do than I expected... So your not alone on this! :) my bike had similar problem and with new battery sorted it out... Mine would charge battery but it didn't hold charge and when it was completely drained it done same problem...it would run but as soon I reved it she would stall , but I had to use jump leads to be able to start her... Good luck

yo welcome to the yoc ,from me,Mr no bike?

Welcome to the forum," And kev "???????? no bike ,:unsure: were you at lakes ?

:welcome: swagga once the bikes sortef, you've done it yourself and know its all ok. the more you work on the bike, the more you get attached. Kev is just getting to know his ;)

Ha yeah, I already feel extremely connected, mainly through the now rather large, hole in my bank account but hell will all be worth it once its done.

Aye sounds like a similar problem ABxv535, will be changing the battery but the reg looks pretty shagged so I'ma get that changed too.

Cheers for the welcome all!

One problem 650 Drags have is the L bracket that holds the Reg/Rec to the frame - It's right behind the front wheel and all the road crap gets kicked up straight onto it. The whole thing is also only held on by one bolt, so all teh stress of bouncing along on the road is right above that bolt.

The thing will rust and snap if you're not careful.

Strip the paint off and recoat it in something substantial.

Check also on the connections. All the above contributes to bad earthing and thus problems like those you're currently having. Sustained, it will knacker your battery and it will fail to hold the charge.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online