Franken-Bike 1978 XS500 with a 1975 XS500

bearisdriving
This post is 5109 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I picked up a 1978 xs500 on the super cheap, ready to get my hands dirty. After getting the engine off the frame, I am up to my eyes in it and think it would be best to just replace the engine (the top end is stuck and is looking to be pretty costly to get moving again). I've found an xs 500 parts bike for sale in the area, but its a 1975- and I'm not sure if they will match up. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So I picked up a 1978 xs500 on the super cheap, ready to get my hands dirty. After getting the engine off the frame, I am up to my eyes in it and think it would be best to just replace the engine (the top end is stuck and is looking to be pretty costly to get moving again). I've found an xs 500 parts bike for sale in the area, but its a 1975- and I'm not sure if they will match up. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!!

mounts should be fine, just the head was different 1 peice intead of 2

thanks- I talked to the seller and he mis-posted, it is actually a '78. So hopefully between the two bikes I should be able to get one working. Haven't started a build log yet, need to find my camera battery, haha. I'll post a link once I get my act together.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online