spark plug/spark plug cap question

jmj166
This post is 5113 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello, As I ordered new spark plugs for my 81 xs400 i used what was listed in the Haynes manual, BP7ES spark plug, and used Z1's spark plug guide to find the right spark plug cap to use, used this to get 2 LBO5F caps.

here lies the problems...when i got these in, the spark plug caps wouldn't fit on the spark plug ends, then when i went to look at the bike i realized the spark plugs on the bike are BR7ES. So i was wondering if the Haynes manual is incorrect (since from what I've read through on other forums is that it sometimes is incorrect) and i should use BR7ES spark plugs instead of BP7ES. also, doesn't anyone know how to match spark plugs to spark plug caps so they fit correctly.

thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the caps on the spark plugs currently on the bike just pop off if you pull them, they dont screw on/screw off. I'm not sure if these sparkplugs were stock (as many things on the bike seem to be) or if they were later replaced with the caps. This is causing the confusion, i know this shouldn't be that big of a deal though, just wanna match the right plug (that i should be using) with the correct cap to get.

hello, As I ordered new spark plugs for my 81 xs400 i used what was listed in the Haynes manual, BP7ES spark plug, and used Z1's spark plug guide to find the right spark plug cap to use, used this to get 2 LBO5F caps.

here lies the problems...when i got these in, the spark plug caps wouldn't fit on the spark plug ends, then when i went to look at the bike i realized the spark plugs on the bike are BR7ES. So i was wondering if the Haynes manual is incorrect (since from what I've read through on other forums is that it sometimes is incorrect) and i should use BR7ES spark plugs instead of BP7ES. also, doesn't anyone know how to match spark plugs to spark plug caps so they fit correctly.

thanks.

the R in the plug designation means resistor type.

yamaha service manual says;

BP-7es NGK or N7Y champion they are always have a little post screwed onto the top, which needs to be removed before installing the plug caps which are rated @ 10Kohms

the caps on the spark plugs currently on the bike just pop off if you pull them, they dont screw on/screw off. I'm not sure if these sparkplugs were stock (as many things on the bike seem to be) or if they were later replaced with the caps. This is causing the confusion, i know this shouldn't be that big of a deal though, just wanna match the right plug (that i should be using) with the correct cap to get.

there are little chrome coloured screw on caps on the plugs themselves that have to be removed before pushing on the ht cap

Its the bit the nice lady is pointing at :huh:

Ramos-Spark_Plug.jpg

probably the best illustration for something mechanical i've seen in a while.

I will check it when i get home and if i remember take pictures if theres any more confusion.

appreciate the help.

probably the best illustration for something mechanical i've seen in a while.

I will check it when i get home and if i remember take pictures if theres any more confusion.

appreciate the help.

don't forget the naked lady ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online