My TZR splutters and dies !

Zircon
This post is 5119 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys , I have been here a while now , and have had loads of help too ! :)

I have a 2004 TZR 50 and have had her on the road about a month now ( after a whole load of problems ) !

To start with she would bog down and splutter at around 6500 rpm , but after around 1-2 seconds it would carry on to rev up . This problem slowly got worse over time , until now she intermittently cuts out while riding (with the choke off) . If I put the choke on she'll regain power again and rev freely again and run fine , however after around 5-10 seconds she will die completely and refuse to run at all ....unless I take the choke off, after a further 5-10 seconds im back to the same spluttering problem :\ ?!?! How bizarre so she will run with the choke and with out the choke , but also die with the choke and without the choke ?

Any help would be vastly appreciated :)

Thanks Again

Jordan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Okay just checked the float bowl , the drain screw was really tight, so I drained it and flushed it through with a bit of fuel.

Its helped partially, she runs fine with the choke on ( still splutters with the choke off ) and there is a massive drop in performance !

Before posting on here I gave the air filter a good clean , so do you think it could be the air fuel mixture ? Worth up jetting ?

Thanks again oldgitonabike :) This isn't the first time you've pointed me in the right direction :)

Jordan

It was spluttering before cleaning the filter , that's why I cleaned it , i cleaned it by flushing hot water through it , before drying it, hoovering it and cleaning it with Carb cleaner :)

Its a 21mm K&N style cone air filter if that helps, I cant say I did oil it before refitting it, but i never have really , just tightened it up really tight !

She still splutters when warm , not as much , but still very noticeable !

Hope this helps

Jordan

Does this spluttering only happen when the bike is in high revs ?

Can you start the bike from cold with choke and then when its a bit warm put the choke off, will the bike idle now for a while ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online