86 FZ 600 questions

KyleM
This post is 3965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just picked up my first bike, 1986 FZ 600. I am new to street bikes but familiar with motorcycles in general since i used to race motocross, this might seem like a stupid question but the fuel on/off switch on my bike i cannot figure which is on and off. I just want to make sure.

Thanks

KyleM

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

but the fuel on/off switch on my bike i cannot figure which is on and off. I just want to make sure.

KyleM

Welcome kyle" it may be a vacum petcock, if so thers no off position , [ is ther a prime position ? if so its a vacum cocky.;)

Welcome kyle" it may be a vacum petcock, if so thers no off position , [ is ther a prime position ? if so its a vacum cocky.;)

correct blackhat its a vaccum petcock.kyle there are three positions main fuel tank, pri which is your prime position in case you run out of fuel or dont switch over to reserve in time, and reserve.

pointing up is main fuel middle position prime and pointing down reserve.

correct blackhat its a vaccum petcock.kyle there are three positions main fuel tank, pri which is your prime position in case you run out of fuel or dont switch over to reserve in time, and reserve.

pointing up is main fuel middle position prime and pointing down reserve.

Okay, thanks alot guys you're great help! Another thing i cant figure out my choke, i dont know which way the choke is on and when its off,

Okay, thanks alot guys you're great help! Another thing i cant figure out my choke, i dont know which way the choke is on and when its off,

push it forward for on and pull it back for of. <_<

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to resurrect this thread and say thank you! I just got an 86 FZ600 with no owners manual...AND it's my first bike! I downloaded the factory service manual, have the haynes, but none of them say anything about the basics. So what's a newbie to do? Why look on the internet of course!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to clarify (in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread in Google search) - the petcock operation is this: Up - Reserve, Sideways - Prime, Down - On

• Like 1

I have to clarify (in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread in Google search) - the petcock operation is this: Up - Reserve, Sideways - Prime, Down - On

Sounds right" :thumb: same as my Kwakers,,

I haven't had a fuel tap on a bike for years and, when I did, I used to ride around on reserve all the time (used to love putting my last 32p worth of petrol in so I could make it home!) but I always wondered. What's the 'Prime' for?

Katie, If you take the carbs off for instance and they are empty you can use the PRIME to fill the bowls, it also bypasses the vacuum part of the tap so if you get a choked pipe or no vacuum pipe then you can get home.

Okay, thanks Slice. I used to use the old-style method of taking my bikes apart (throwing them down the road) so would never have needed that but I can see how that would have worked as well :)

And here's a tip... don't leave it on prime. The person I bought the bike from told me it was the "off" position.... so I kept it there when I wasn't using the bike, came out last week to find a pool of gas on the ground and in my cylinders, and oil.... it wasn't the only cause, but having it in prime allowed the gas to flow freely into the carbs, and the engine, and the oil...

Ah Yes Feliks there's always that, if you don't know ask is the best way but if some numb nut's tells you this is how it works what can you do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online