DT175 no power

coachb
This post is 4979 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently bought a 1981 DT175. Maybe I'm expecting too much but it seems to be down on power. I ran a compression check and 1st kick had 75psi, 2nd kick 85 3rd kick had 100psi. The bike wont idle and niether screw on the carb affects the idle or performance of the bike. It only had 1800 miles (if odometer is correct) on it. Should this bike have a power band . It doesnt seem to when get the rpm's up. Any advice would help.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Should this bike have a power band . IAny advice would help.

Thanks

HI " How does it idle ? is i ok wen choke on ? then how is it after warming up, ? air screw [ brass left side small] shud be 1.5 turns out . How long has it been standing without use, ? & air filtre ? [ clean]

Power band , depends on what bike you"ve been riding previous, goona feel guttless if you"ve been on modern bikes, 70-75mph flat out,

It's wierd really, you don't have to choke it when cold. Will start on 2nd or 3rd kick. When you rev it and it comes down to idle it will gradually idle down and quit. Idle screw is all the way in and doesn't effect it at all turning it out. Air filter looks new. Seems like 50 mph is top speed. Rpms arent out the roof.... just doesnt want to go any faster. About 30 years ago I had a Kawasaki 175 that seemed to have alot more zip to it than this bike. It didnt have a power band at all and felt stronger. I also checked the slide in the carb and its in correctly. Haven't torn it down for a cleanibg yet though.

Yeah something is awry if neither screw affects idle, either that or you didnt turn the throttle stop (knurled one) sufficiently clockwise to lift the carb slide and increase the engine speed.

Either way if you have just acquired the bike I would recommend a full carb strip and proper clean

It's wierd really, you don't have to choke it when cold. Will start on 2nd or 3rd kick. When you rev it and it comes down to idle it will gradually idle down and quit. Idle screw is all the way in and doesn't effect it at all turning it out. Air filter looks new. Seems like 50 mph is top speed. Rpms arent out the roof.... just doesnt want to go any faster. About 30 years ago I had a Kawasaki 175 that seemed to have alot more zip to it than this bike. It didnt have a power band at all and felt stronger. I also checked the slide in the carb and its in correctly. Haven't torn it down for a cleanibg yet though.

I would check the float height, and your idle jet tbh. You may have a crank seal issue but that generally makes them a pig to start. Whats the old plug like?

Don't get hung up on oil or ignition it is very unlikely to have owt to do with it. Primary target for me would be the carb. Has it been stood for any time?

I dont know much history on the bike. The carb (without tearing it down) looked good inside where the slide is. Works freely also. What should the float height be? Or can you direct me to a sight where I can find carb specs? And also, what is a good compression (PSI) for it.

I dont know much history on the bike. The carb (without tearing it down) looked good inside where the slide is. Works freely also. What should the float height be? Or can you direct me to a sight where I can find carb specs? And also, what is a good compression (PSI) for it.

Compression is a difficult thing to check on a stroker, if it runs its within limits. The float height should be 21mm, need OG's super diagram for this bit. As any discription i try will only confuse you if you cannot recognise the actual components.

Paul.....?

You didnt say where you are? I guess its USA as 'tear down' is an American expression, we would say 'strip' here. ;)

In the UK we had two different carbs although these were basically the same, they were numbered 2H500 and 3U500, they had different components in them.

I 'think' the American one was akin to the 3U500 and had an interference fit emulsion tube (AKA needle jet), when you strip the carb down for it's thorough clean...tap this out from the top (downwards) it will not need much of a tap so take it easy as it's soft brass. You may find it gunked up like this so you have to get it out to clean it.

3U500NeedleJet_3.jpg

also take out the other jets...main jet...pilot jet and the float needle valve (dont damage or lose the gasket under this)..take out the air mixture screw and dont lose the O ring if it has one (which I think it may well have)...take out the choke plunger and check the rubber seat is not damaged.

Clean the carb body with carb cleaner and blow through any little passages with compressed air or an air duster.

Re-assemble it all and check the float height is set to 21mm (gasket removed) see picture

100_0752-1.jpg

as has been said set the air mixture screw to 1 and 1/2 turns out from gently closed, then adjust the throttle stop screw for idle at around 1200rpm

As fpr cpmpression I reckon 100psi should be fine and did you do this test with hot engine?

...Paul

I did the compression test cold. And yes I'm in the states. Last night I stripped the carb and cleaned it. Looked pretty good inside. I also gutted the exhaust. Idles now but the screw is all the way in. Ran much better in 1,2,3 gears. Still seems sluggish in the upper gears. Ran out of time and called it quits for the evening. Will adjusting the slide needle help in the upper gears? There is a screw holding the plate on top of the needle that is being stubborn. I will take the carb aprt again and do a more detailed cleanig now that you have given me som edirection. Thanks for the photos.

Darren

The baffle had 1 screw holding it. Remove it and shine a light down from there and you can see the cone. I cut the pipe with a band saw and removed the cone with a pair of vice grips. Then welded the pipe back together.

I guess the cone would actually be in the muffler part of the pipe. But some other forums speak of a restrictor in the inlet of the pipe where it attaches to the cylinder, I haven't went that far yet. They say a "washer " with a very small hole in it is there that can be cut out.

But some other forums speak of a restrictor in the inlet of the pipe where it attaches to the cylinder, I haven't went that far yet. They say a "washer " with a very small hole in it is there that can be cut out.

I havent heard of this washer you speak of, however this is what I found in my DT175 header pipe.

ExhaustDiameter_1.jpg

ExhaustDiameter_2.jpg

Exhaustrestrictor_3.jpg

100_1307.jpg

102_1325500.jpg

Theres no way it is affecting your performance as badly as you report though.

I just purchased the bike and I'm trying to figure out what my problem may be. Other people have mentioned this may be a factor. I reaaly don't know. I guess that's why I'm on here looking for suggestions.

Could be any number of reasons, what other forum are you getting help from?

Myself I would meticulously clean the carb first and blow through all the little passages in the carb body with compressed air. Re-assemble and set the float height and mixture screw.

If that didnt cure it, then I would take meter readings of my magneto coils and ignition coil to see if they are out of spec.

How many wires connect to the CDI ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online