GT80b???

spydey98
This post is 5111 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

No temp gauge Pat, It's an old fashioned aircooled jobbie like my DT175 ;)

Aye, am not thinkin straight tonite, im thinkin it might be somethin more simple like a heating up issue, that is if the bike still starts and runs for arround half an hour.

What ya think ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I see your point, but as of right now I have the clutch side cover off so I have a direct visual of the crank seal. I've put oil around the seal and pressurized and there are not bubbles from the seal and the air does hold in the cylinder.

I may be well out here, but there is expansion when the bike is at running temp, and you are testing it when it is cold, maybe the seal leaks after the bike is warm. Just a thought.

Note to self: Gonna have to get me some typing lessons to beat Pat of the draw :P

Hi guys, thanks for all the responses.

Oldgitonabike: No movement in crank, yes to the exhaust blocked off. I'm as baffled as you are.

2 wheels: Yes it still starts and runs. Starts easy, pretty much first kick everytime..UNTIL it starts that bogging down and smoke routine.

Vez: I'm at the point where I'm ready to agree with you about the heating up issue...but after 2 hours of riding??? It seems to me that it would rear it's ugly head long before that. Does anybody agree with that?

Baffled yes but I still think it's transmission oil. I would replace that seal anyway and stick it in place as has been mentioned previously, After all a seal is cheap and your'e an expert now with this bike and it's seal.

Incidentally is it still on pumped two stroke oil?

is the seal in the pump ok mine popped out once and emptied the contents of my two stroke oil into the clutch casing!

Just throwing these thaughts in here !

Blocked exhaust system,,,,, will give out white smoke when engine heats up + to much back pressure causing loss of power.

Engine runs fine till warmed up,,,,,,,mabey HT lead is shorting out or braking down when engine is under load, this is unnoticable at low revs.

Oil pump or mixture strenth,,,,,,too much oil will give out smoke (although it would be black in colour). not enough oil would cause white smoke and boging down as temp rises.

this is a baffeling issue you have mate !!!

Good points oldgitonabike and 2 wheels.

I definitely shall replace the seal for good measure...and no, I haven't check the seal on the back of the oil pump. I'll do that this morning after I clear a few things up at the shop. Now that you mention it, the transmission oil did have a bit of a blue hue to it. You might be onto something there :)

2 wheels: haven't checked the exhaust for blockage but was thinking about that myself last night. The theory on not enough oil in the mixture may be correct if some of it is leaking into the transmission oil. The HT lead is good, checked that first along with other peripheals.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted

Good points oldgitonabike and 2 wheels.

I definitely shall replace the seal for good measure...and no, I haven't check the seal on the back of the oil pump. I'll do that this morning after I clear a few things up at the shop. Now that you mention it, the transmission oil did have a bit of a blue hue to it. You might be onto something there :)

2 wheels: haven't checked the exhaust for blockage but was thinking about that myself last night. The theory on not enough oil in the mixture may be correct if some of it is leaking into the transmission oil. The HT lead is good, checked that first along with other peripheals.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online