YBR 125 queries

Mobsta17
This post is 4885 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, firstly i must say i`m a bit of a bike novice so apologies if i sound a little thick! I have recently done my CBT and bought a YBR 125, it`s an 08 model and has very low mileage, and has been recently serviced.

I had been using it every day for a couple of weeks now, with no problem at all. However two days ago i noticed it started to stall when sat idle. This has since developed into the bike stalling pretty much all the time, even when i`m in motion and giving it throttle, to the point that i can not use it at the moment. It sometimes will not even start and just turns over, then when it eventually fires up it will tick over for a small time before starting to struggle and hunting before cutting out. It seems o.k at speed, but will struggle at low, or no speed. I have checked the plug and it`s fine and sparking o.k. The air filter is all clear and seems fine too. I have unplugged and re-connected the various sensors relating to the fuel injection system too. I`m struggling to work out what the problem could be......

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Also, how much do you think i`d be looking at to get it booked in to be looked at at a Yamaha dealer? If i even need to, it may be something small that i could sort myself.

I also noticed the exhaust has a small hole on the underneath by the footpeg, i may be stupid, but this is not the problem is it? It looks machine drilled like it`s supposed to be there?

Help!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, firstly i must say i`m a bit of a bike novice so apologies if i sound a little thick! I have recently done my CBT and bought a YBR 125, it`s an 08 model and has very low mileage, and has been recently serviced.

I had been using it every day for a couple of weeks now, with no problem at all. However two days ago i noticed it started to stall when sat idle. This has since developed into the bike stalling pretty much all the time, even when i`m in motion and giving it throttle, to the point that i can not use it at the moment. It sometimes will not even start and just turns over, then when it eventually fires up it will tick over for a small time before starting to struggle and hunting before cutting out. It seems o.k at speed, but will struggle at low, or no speed. I have checked the plug and it`s fine and sparking o.k. The air filter is all clear and seems fine too. I have unplugged and re-connected the various sensors relating to the fuel injection system too. I`m struggling to work out what the problem could be......

Also, how much do you think i`d be looking at to get it booked in to be looked at at a Yamaha dealer? If i even need to, it may be something small that i could sort myself.

I also noticed the exhaust has a small hole on the underneath by the footpeg, i may be stupid, but this is not the problem is it? It looks machine drilled like it`s supposed to be there?

Help!!

Others on here know more than me about your model of bike.

The we hole in the exhaust should be there ( i think ) to let water vapour out.

Have ya got an idle screw to turn up the revs a bit,,,,,,sounds like this is all that is needed.

Others on here know more than me about your model of bike.

The we hole in the exhaust should be there ( i think ) to let water vapour out.

Have ya got an idle screw to turn up the revs a bit,,,,,,sounds like this is all that is needed.

thanks for your quick reply.

i have just been out and checked/sdjusted the idle speed. At first it seems to hold o.k, but then it seems as soon as the engine is warm it really struggles and cuts out. It`s almost at exactly the same time, every time i start the bike up!! At first it starts fine...... then the problem starts. Can`t help but think it`s something like a sensor or a connection. May be to do with a fault with the fast idle solenoid?

back to the drawing board, any other ideas?

Is the automatic choke working correctly? I.e does the light go out when its warm.

Hi mate..... thank you for your help.

Not sure how to check that? As far as i know there is no light on for the choke that i can see? The only light to come on and go off is the yellow engine management light that comes on when the ignition key is turned to on, and then goes off when it`s ready to start up.

Hi mate..... thank you for your help.

Not sure how to check that? As far as i know there is no light on for the choke that i can see? The only light to come on and go off is the yellow engine management light that comes on when the ignition key is turned to on, and then goes off when it`s ready to start up.

Only experience i have was an 07 ybr, and that had a orange light on the dash that would turn on at startup and then off once the bike was warm.

With the symptoms starting after warm up, i would be looking at the choke.

Only experience i have was an 07 ybr, and that had a orange light on the dash that would turn on at startup and then off once the bike was warm.

With the symptoms starting after warm up, i would be looking at the choke.

yeah, sorry...... the lights orange. It comes on when i turn the key to on and then when it goes off (a couple of secs) i start the engine. That`s what i was told by the person when i bought the bike. Perhaps that light is for the choke? How would i check/adjust the auto choke? any ideas?

yeah, sorry...... the lights orange. It comes on when i turn the key to on and then when it goes off (a couple of secs) i start the engine. That`s what i was told by the person when i bought the bike. Perhaps that light is for the choke? How would i check/adjust the auto choke? any ideas?

Not a clue pal, but i think this may be the source of your problems. Maybe ask about a replacement at your local dealers. Only had problems with auto chokes on cars/vans, crap idea imo.

Not a clue pal, but i think this may be the source of your problems. Maybe ask about a replacement at your local dealers. Only had problems with auto chokes on cars/vans, crap idea imo.

thanks anyway mate.

I`ve just read the Haynes Manual and it says that the light should come on and then go off after a couple of secs.... it`s an engine fault warning light, and if it stays on or flashes then there`s a fault. So i think the problem may be to do with something else that i`m not sure about?

I could really do with someone who has had a similar problem reading this.

Guess i may need to take it to a Yammy dealer to get it looked at.

Thanks again for taking the time to help tho.

Dont rush straight to a yam dealer,,,,,they will charge ya a fortune.

It sounds like a small problem that will prob have an easy fix. Someone on here might have the answer for ya,,,,or do ya know anyone to ask that might be abl to help localy.

If it was going fine before this happened,,,,,,can ya think back to anything that might of happened or maby something ya done. eg. ran very low on fuel or something.

Just a thaught but worth checking everything over again before ya head to the dealer. What does your manual say about it in the trouble-shooting section !!!

Dont rush straight to a yam dealer,,,,,they will charge ya a fortune.

It sounds like a small problem that will prob have an easy fix. Someone on here might have the answer for ya,,,,or do ya know anyone to ask that might be abl to help localy.

If it was going fine before this happened,,,,,,can ya think back to anything that might of happened or maby something ya done. eg. ran very low on fuel or something.

Just a thaught but worth checking everything over again before ya head to the dealer. What does your manual say about it in the trouble-shooting section !!!

I think it is a problem with the fast idle solenoid. I`ve tried everything else i can think of....... Really scratching my head on this one.

Irony is the 2 year warranty expired 10 days ago!!

I`m sure it`s something simple, and i could fix or try to look at myself. The dealer will cost a fortune, but at least they can just plug it in and diagnose the problem.

I`ve spent all day with the Haynes Manual out and tried to eliminate the problems one by one. I am now getting a much greater understanding of the bikes mechanics!!

but i`m no closer to solving the problem.

I've had this kind of bahaviour before when a crakcase seal was intermittently allowing air into the casing below affecting the air faul mixture ration.

Help!!

the problem seems to have got progressively worse over the last few days. I have ridden the bike in terrible rain lately, i wonder if that may have caused a problem? Perhaps damp may have got into one of the sensors or something.

It seems strange how it stalls nearly exactly the same time, every time after being sat idle.

If anyone has any checks or tests i could do to try and isolate the exact problem i`d love to hear their ideas.

Thanks

Have you checked the air filter and the spark plug yet?

Okay, you got low mileage - but where has it been ridden? Dusty or wet areas? Or even worse: Dusty AND wet areas?

Maybe it is just the air filter that needs to be cleaned or swapped.

Auto choke could be the problem, too. But I would start checking the air filter in the first place.

I own a '05 YBR so I do not have the auto choke. But it worked quite well with a '93 Honda CH 125 Spacy - with over 48'000 km on the odometer (owned it when I was in switzerland).

Greetings, Martin

Have you checked the air filter and the spark plug yet?

Okay, you got low mileage - but where has it been ridden? Dusty or wet areas? Or even worse: Dusty AND wet areas?

Maybe it is just the air filter that needs to be cleaned or swapped.

Auto choke could be the problem, too. But I would start checking the air filter in the first place.

I own a '05 YBR so I do not have the auto choke. But it worked quite well with a '93 Honda CH 125 Spacy - with over 48'000 km on the odometer (owned it when I was in switzerland).

Greetings, Martin

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply.

Yes i`ve checked the air filter and also the spark plug.... both are fine.

Everything i`m checking seems to be o.k.

It has only 3000 miles and was serviced about 4 months or so ago. The previous owner only used the bike in the dry.

Lately i have ridden the bike in very, very wet conditions, maybe this could be the problem. Could the heavy rain cause a problem with the electrics?

The auto choke could be playing up, i`m thinking maybe it is pumping too much or not enough petrol. Does this sound like it could be the problem?

Sorry for my bad english but I ment if you have checked the filter and the spark plug again after the problems started to grow.

Rain can be a problem but I think the wires and connectors are insulated well enough. Especially when it comes to the cdi and the connectors that have been used there.

My main problem: I own the '05 with carburator so I do not have any auto choke, etc.

I was riding through heavy rain, no problems at all. And that with the funnel-like rubber thing below the odometer containing the connectors for odometer, turn signals, lights, etc.

I do not know where the gas filter is positioned on the '07 model. Have you checked it as well?

My old book tells me that problems like that can be caused by:

* old or dirty gas

* filter is dirty and blocks the gas

* the motor gets air from somewhere else

* gas pump does not work properly

Greetings, Martin

Sorry for my bad english but I ment if you have checked the filter and the spark plug again after the problems started to grow.

Rain can be a problem but I think the wires and connectors are insulated well enough. Especially when it comes to the cdi and the connectors that have been used there.

My main problem: I own the '05 with carburator so I do not have any auto choke, etc.

I was riding through heavy rain, no problems at all. And that with the funnel-like rubber thing below the odometer containing the connectors for odometer, turn signals, lights, etc.

I do not know where the gas filter is positioned on the '07 model. Have you checked it as well?

My old book tells me that problems like that can be caused by:

* old or dirty gas

* filter is dirty and blocks the gas

* the motor gets air from somewhere else

* gas pump does not work properly

Greetings, Martin

I went out on the bike tonight and it was better, it did not stall once when i was moving. I was stopping at lights and roundabouts and it was going thru the gears fine, no stuttering at all. I even left the bike in low gears to see if it would struggle speeding up, but again it was fine. When i stopped back at home i gave it a little throttle and it struggled a bit and stalled, but then i turned it over and it started 1st time!!

Sounds stupid but when i tapped my finger on the throttle arm down in the engine bay under the bike and manually gave throttle by pushing the arm rather than turning the throttle on the handlebars it seemed to want to stutter a bit and try and stall, just like before...... but it did not quite stall it stopped itself.

I turned the engine off and on a few times, and it started every time.

Now i'm even more confused. I still know there's a problem with it, but it seems to be getting better??

Could this have been some rain/damp in the system that has dried out or is the problem going to get worse again? I`ll take the bike out agin tomorrow to see.

• 1 month later...

i just recently had a problem with mine starting. probably not the same problem you're having if the engine management light's not flashing. would just recommend trying the cheap stuff first. my problem was a faulty ignition switch by the way. which i discovered after removing the tank and half the electrics. you learn by your mistakes i guess

Hi, Well the first thing I would do especially since it all seemed to have started after rain ,and that it seems to be drying out & improving slightly is , spray all electrics with wd40 & also have a look around for any loose connections <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully you've got this sorted now but on my 2 week old ybr i've had few things work loose.have you checked the sensor which tells the engine the centre stand is down and that the stands go all the way back up. maybe check the clutch and stand sensors as if it thinks the stand is down and the clutch is out the engine will cut out.