TDM Engine Knock

jattie
This post is 4969 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've a 1997 TDM with around 58k miles on the clock. It's regularly serviced and used for my daily commute for the past 3 years. A couple of days ago coming from work off the motorway I heard a strange knocking sound that seems to be related to speed and power applied, when you pull the clutch in she goes all quiet.

I drove the last mile slowly home and put the bike up on the paddock stand. I noticed that there was a massive wobble in the drive chain especially in top gear at idle speed. I took the chain off and noticed that the knocking sound remains as soon as I put the bike in gear and especially in a higher gear.

So over the past two days I stripped the heads down and was sure I am going to see a timing chain or big end issue and to my surprise they are all 100%. I am now totally stumped. I do not see any bearing issues on the flywheel, so short of dropping the engine and stripping the gearbox, any other ideas before I go down that road?

Any ideas, suggestions and experience will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Comeon guys, someone must have some experience on this!

I've a 1997 TDM with around 58k miles on the clock. It's regularly serviced and used for my daily commute for the past 3 years. A couple of days ago coming from work off the motorway I heard a strange knocking sound that seems to be related to speed and power applied, when you pull the clutch in she goes all quiet.

I drove the last mile slowly home and put the bike up on the paddock stand. I noticed that there was a massive wobble in the drive chain especially in top gear at idle speed. I took the chain off and noticed that the knocking sound remains as soon as I put the bike in gear and especially in a higher gear.

So over the past two days I stripped the heads down and was sure I am going to see a timing chain or big end issue and to my surprise they are all 100%. I am now totally stumped. I do not see any bearing issues on the flywheel, so short of dropping the engine and stripping the gearbox, any other ideas before I go down that road?

Any ideas, suggestions and experience will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Well i dont know is the real answer,,,,,after i thaught on it for a bit.

But the fact that the knocking only starts when the bike is put into gear-----seems to point to the gearbox.

Dont start the bike and select a gear or a few then turn the drive sproket (since ya have the chain off) and try to listen where the knock is comming from.

Could be bent plates,

could be bearing in g-box

Wobble in the chain----could be the bearing/bush on the other side of the drive sproket.

These are all guesses but try to find out where the knock is comming from without the engine started.

Aye, i know, not much help but anyway

You have coverd most of the bases in your initial post about the problem. The clonk is still there without the chain on which rules out all the sproket options. You have torn the top end down, have you had the barrels off completely or just the head. No mean feat on a TDM you must have 3 hands.

I cant see another option really, you have checked things like engine mounts and such. I was ready to pull a suzuki i had once to bits to fix a hand numbing buzz through the bars at mid rpm and that was a loose frame bolt.

Sorry can't help much. Never really got to grips with one apart from changing an exhaust, fond memories NOT.

There is a specific TDM forum HERE that may get you better info.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online