How long for Tax and insurance to be valid?

ryanwilki
This post is 4930 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.

I have a DT50 and im waiting on my provisional to come through. When i have got it im doing my CBT. However i cant tax or insure it until i have my CBT. (to tax i need insurance, and to insure it i need my CBT).

Im just wondering that if i do my CBT, then come home and buy insurance online, along with tax, will both the tax and insurance be valid on that day to go riding as soon as ive done my CBT? Or will i have to wait for the paperwork to come through the post?

Thanks

Ryan :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi.

I have a DT50 and im waiting on my provisional to come through. When i have got it im doing my CBT. However i cant tax or insure it until i have my CBT. (to tax i need insurance, and to insure it i need my CBT).

Im just wondering that if i do my CBT, then come home and buy insurance online, along with tax, will both the tax and insurance be valid on that day to go riding as soon as ive done my CBT? Or will i have to wait for the paperwork to come through the post?

Thanks

Ryan :)

Are ya sure you've got this bit right ?

i am sure you can insure the bike then if they need to see proof of cbt just send it in the post , a bit like proving your no claims when changing insurer.

if you want to do it properly do ur cbt then ring up the insurer! they will do it all for you then you will be insured within 3 hours of putting the phone down, then apply for tax either online or wait for the cover note from the insurer to turn up.

if you do it online then you cant go nowhere till the tax disk has turned up which could take anywhere up to a week!

if you wait for the cover note from the insurer (normally 3-7 days) then go to ur local post office with the logbook (or green new owner slip), insurance cover note, and mot certificate then they will give you your tax there and then! :D then just pop the disk on your bike and away you go! :D

if you want to do it properly do ur cbt then ring up the insurer! they will do it all for you then you will be insured within 3 hours of putting the phone down, then apply for tax either online or wait for the cover note from the insurer to turn up.

if you do it online then you cant go nowhere till the tax disk has turned up which could take anywhere up to a week!

if you wait for the cover note from the insurer (normally 3-7 days) then go to ur local post office with the logbook (or green new owner slip), insurance cover note, and mot certificate then they will give you your tax there and then!  :D  then just pop the disk on your bike and away you go! :D

My insurance has been valid as soon as i have paid, but i normally pay fully so it may be different if you pay installments.

It does take three days to be put on the MID database though, which the police use, so you risk getting pulled and having to wait while the police phone your insurers to confirm you are insured. :rolleyes:

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/   Check your insurance status here.

If you get tax online and back date to the start of the month then ride the same day, the police can only charge you with failing to display afaik. :unsure:

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Vehicle+Enquiry   Check your tax status here.

Quickest way is to use your legs, not t'interweb or the phone:

1. Pass CBT

b. Take CBT stiffy cat to local insurance broker, get insured, walk out with cover note

iii. Take cover note & MOT to local Post Office and get tax disc over the counter

x. Throw your leg over your throbbing beast and ride like there's no tomorrow.

.... or you could try ringing the insurance company before taking the CBT and explain that you want to use your own machine to sit the test, but that would probably blow the fuses in "Call Centre Charlie's" head as you're not following his checklist. Worth a punt though.

HTH

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I want to do it all properly but want to do it as quickly as possible.

So im thinking:

1. Wait for provisional

2. Do cbt

3. Insure it (£181 full payment, third party only)

4. wait for cover proof thing through post

5. Take it to post office along with MOT certificate and log book and get tax over the counter

6. Have some fun!!

What do you think?

And before i go, how long will it take to book a cbt, should i get booking now?

cheers

Ryan.

Y'know it is silly. Its just an observation but:-

When i got my first bike you went to the insurance brokers on the high street with your paperwork, came out with the cover note then walked to the post office, also on the high street. Job done.

Now its all on the high speed internet it can take up to a week?.

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I want to do it all properly but want to do it as quickly as possible.

So im thinking:

1. Wait for provisional

2. Do cbt

3. Insure it (£181 full payment, third party only)

4. wait for cover proof thing through post

5. Take it to post office along with MOT certificate and log book and get tax over the counter

6. Have some fun!!

What do you think?

cheers

Ryan.

Thought i would add, You don't need to wait for a cover note at most post offices, as they have access to the same MID database as the police, so it is worth asking if your nearest post office will do it without a cover note.

Are ya sure you've got this bit right ?

You can insure a bike without taking your CBT (ask yourself this, if you couldn't, how would you be able to use your own bike to do the CBT?) You just need to tell the insurance company, then pass them the details when you have done it.

the police can only charge you with failing to display afaik. :unsure:

The police don't prosecute you for this, the DVLA do. If you purchase your taxdisc on-line, they tell you you have you can ride/drive for upto 5 days while the disc comes through the post.

Y'know it is silly. Its just an observation but:-

<snip>

Now its all on the high speed internet it can take up to a week?.

It's a bit daft. And to sod it up even more, some insurance comapnies only send you the docs electronically. My local DVLA office won't accept 'own printer' certificates, and can't access the right systems to check on-line. Althoug if you tax on-line the DVLA can and do check. It's stupid.

The post office down the road will allow 'own-printer' certificates, but the one over the other side of the town won't. They need to get their act together, one way or another!

Technically, as soon as you have paid your money you are covered, with or without a certificate. The problem can be proving it,, especially if Mr Plod is having a bad day (read: bad plod).

So, if you have the bike, insure it now. Tell the insurance that you are waiting to do your CBT. Then get it taxed. so you are ready to ride it away from the CBT testing place the day you are legal.

How long will it take?

About the length of a phonecall.

How long until you can do a CBT?

They'll probably book 2 weeks to a month in advance. Maybe more, if they are busy.

So yes - The sooner you book, the quicker you can go do CBT.

Hi thanks for the replies. I took your advices and rang them up. Turns out that as long as I do my cbt within two weeks from Saturday then I can insure my bike. So I bought my insurance then ( £205 instead of the £549 I got quoted at the brokers ) and I will get my cover note within 5 days so then I can tax it. The cbt place said they can get me in straight away. So now just waiting on my provisional :)

Thanks again!

Ryan

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online