Virago 535 fork oil seals don't fit

Newt
This post is 5120 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, can anyone throw any light on a problem I am having with the oil seals on a 535 virago please?

I have searched the topic and nothing relevant found.

I did the fork seals on the bike 2 years ago, and it was a job to get the oil seals in enough to get the wire retaining clips on, and when I did the dust seals didn't quite sit down right.

I've blown a seal again, I ordered some off evilbay, and again it won't go in far enough to get the clip in. In fact I just destroyed one trying. I took it out, got out the vernier and measured up, and it seems this set of seals and the last set I had are too thick by about 2mm. The seals I have are .4" thick, or around 10mm. I have replaced the forks, so don't know what year they are, however my supplier tells me the seals are the same from '88 to '02.

Should I leave the wire clip out? I reckon the friction of the seal and the dust cap will hold it in place, does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks, Newt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there Newt, This sounds like a familiar problem to me, Did you buy aftermarket or genuine ones from the bay? and certainly don't put the oil seal in without the retaining clip, I have done this before and by the time you notice its pushed out, you have no brakes and your front tyre is soaked in oil =( I recommend measuring the original seals and then just google for a seals company (this is what I always do now, its much cheaper too!) find a company and then call them as so make sure they are intended for use as you want to use them. Then order away! (I doubt you will spend more than £15)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online