New classic yamaha owner

This post is 5125 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am the new owner of a classic yamaha and am searching for thoughts and ideas on how to restore my new(old) bike. It was given to me by a co-worker, it is a 1969 Yamaha AT-1 B. The engine seized up in 1981 and the bike has not been riden since then, it has been sitting in a shed for almost 30 years. I am going to take the engine out this weekend and see how much damage was done.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. btw...this is my first Yamaha

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm kidding mate :P

welcome to the 'ward' Mr Bond, we've been expecting you B)

:welcome: 007

get all the fasteners soaked in penetrating fluid, before you start on the bike. Get an impact driver so you don't chew up those head screws.

could be looking at a rebore at the very least

drewps

The engine is basically DT and really didn't change much till 76/77 so pretty much all the service items like pistons bearings seals etc are available easily.

Likewise the rolling stock is pretty much DT. Some little differences but in the main again its DT. Tank and panels vary.

A very doable resto so long as the bike is complete, its stuff like engine panels, bigger bits that make life tricky.

Thank's to all for the welcome and the advice. The bike is complete, once I upgrade my account I will post pictures. The bike even came with a service manual. According to the odometer it 6753 miles on it, there are NO dents in the tank or fenders, the tach and speedo are clear and appear to be fully functional. Aside from the engine being siezed (which hopefully will require just a small boring and new piston) the rear wheel is missing 8 spokes and it appears someone drilled the rear hub to attach an incorrect rear sprocket, so I will most likely replace the rear wheel.

My goal is to get the bike running in time for the 2011 Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival here in Birmingham, AL.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online