Electric motor windings

Vez
This post is 4985 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Electrics isn't my favorite subject, so after doing some reading i think that the coils on this electric motor are open circuit. Although this doesn't seem right to me because i thought that a coil needed a circuit for the electricity to pass through and create the magnetic field :unsure: .

Can anyone tell me if this is correct and the windings are only connected at one end? Or if not, then where the other end connects too?

pict0974.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Each 'bundle' of winds-and there are 3 on that core on your pic Vez is energised one at a time, on the 'commutator' the copper bush type thing there are 3 sections-each split into 3 segments, put a testers 'probes' on the 'outside' edge of these 'segments', you should get a 'continuity' with the symbol Omega selected on the tester-when your on the right setting touching the two probes on the tester will show a small voltage :huh:

its 1 continous wire wound round the 3 segments

Maybe i should make my situation a little clearer, i snapped the windings by rotating the commuter whilst the part with the windings on was rusted into the motor body. So after some messing i am now left with this :unsure:

pict0978n.jpg

Now in the process of re-winding the windings and can only find one place to connect each of the three wires too, that being a tab on each of the segments. I have read that the other end of each wire is not connected to anything :blink: and left open so to speak. But i have also read that the other end is sometimes connected to the commuter and placed into the slots as to break the circuit.

Basically i'm confused and probably out of my depth with this.

EDITED due to not reading the above properly

Yep its fucked-going by that pic :)

google motor winders I bet you find one in your area who will probably do a teency wee job like this for beer money, it takes skill to get the right number of winds on the rotor

EDIT, its not Ohms sorry its DC, ohms is resistance, best thing to do Vez is get one of them 9v square batteries, place your fingers from your left hand(index and middle) onto the commutator then touch the two posts of the battery onto your tongue (this being a very low voltage is perfectly safe)-you should feel a slight 'tingle' ? :blink:

Each 'bundle' of winds-and there are 3 on that core on your pic Vez is energised one at a time, on the 'commutator' the copper bush type thing there are 3 sections-each split into 3 segments, put a testers 'probes' on the 'outside' edge of these 'segments', you should get a 'continuity' with the symbol Omega selected on the tester-when your on the right setting touching the two probes on the tester will show a small voltage  :huh:

its 1 continous wire wound round the 3 segments

Missed that part on the first read, if thats the case then i need to connect each wire to the next segment, kinda like a daisy chain effect,  thus creating the 1 piece of wire.

Thinking about it that would create the circuit i thought should be there. 

Thanks for your help btw Bark. 

EDIT, its not Ohms sorry its DC, ohms is resistance, best thing to do Vez is get one of them 9v square batteries, place your fingers from your left hand(index and middle) onto the commutator then touch the two posts of the battery onto your tongue (this being a very low voltage is perfectly safe)-you should feel a slight 'tingle' ?  :blink:

:lol:

No probs Vez-like I said google for winders in your area-it needs the right guage of wire and the right number of turnings-very cheap to have it done by experts, but if you insist on 'having a go' let us know how you got on ;)

No probs Vez-like I said google for winders in your area-it needs the right guage of wire and the right number of turnings-very cheap to have it done by experts, but if you insist on 'having a go' let us know how you got on  ;)

Its nearly done, i'll post a thread when i'm done. Too tight to pay someone else to do it :unsure:.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online