XVS 125 air filter

christofeser
This post is 5108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

yesyesyesyeysyes!

another one of my threads about customising my draggy!

Paul and I have agreed to make a nice rear seat and fender, and now I want to finish the package.

And now I want this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-UNIVERSAL-HIGH-POWER-CONE-AIR-FILTER-RED-/350385379190?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5194989776

Could I fit an air filter like that onto my draggy in any way?

Would I need re-jetting?

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok thats a car air filter. :blink: (a little on the big side)

plus you would need to keep the air box on, i did a air filter mod on the virago engine and found that the engine is soooooooo temperamental! the only way i could do it was to take the original filter off (just the filter) then put a free flow pitbike airfilter on the hole of the air box then tape it together to stop any leeks! plus ul find that the hole into the filter cover is an oval shape so finding anything that would fit will be tricky!

have you looked at a pancake filter? they have them for old austin mini's. that would look quite good! plus it would hide the air box and fill it out a little better.

here is a link to somethin iv found but just type in pancake air filter into ebay

click me

then the only problem ul have is fitting it lol plus ul need a slightly bigger jet say a 95 or 100 main jet should do it (best try the 95 1st!)

Okay it was only to display style...

Are you saying I have to cut a hole in the shield to fit it?

And then how hard will it be to fit? Is it a case of clipping the mofo on (if I can get the right sizes???

Okay it was only to display style...

Are you saying I have to cut a hole in the shield to fit it?

And then how hard will it be to fit? Is it a case of clipping the mofo on (if I can get the right sizes???

nah you dont need to cut owt as the cover will come off the box (incase you need to put it back on ) not sure how you would fit it though.

Oh Paul, your money is on it's way.

Did I see in one of your bobber project threads that you have a pair of shocks that lower the bike that aren't being used? Or some struts that are sturdy enough? I fancy lowering it...

Chris

Oh Paul, your money is on it's way.

Did I see in one of your bobber project threads that you have a pair of shocks that lower the bike that aren't being used? Or some struts that are sturdy enough? I fancy lowering it...

Chris

i dont have any spare shocks but i did use the sissy bar mounts as struts :D they lower the bike quite a bit so give them a try B) the struts that i made wernt strong enough (iv got a crap stick welder but im gettin better! lol ) just make sure that its not too low :blink: oh and iv got the parts (fiberglass and paint ect) just got to wait for the light to turn up and some sunshine to get cracking :D

Are you suggesting the sissy bar mounts are strong enough to stand the weight of the bike + me?! And how do you stick em on???

I might ask a friend to fabricate some struts... he's gooooood at welding.

Chris

there plenty strong enough (6mm chrome plated steel!!) just need the fixing holes borad out so they slide on properly (and are not just held on by the bolt) then a bush/big washer to make sure they stay there! either that or get some 16.5mm inside diamiter tube and fabricate some struts. (i got some 16mm inside diamiter and its a very tight fit! need to hammer it to get it on and off)

also with the sissy bar mounts you want the bit where the sissy bar goes on, close to the wheel just have a look at the 1st bobber post i put up! iv got a pic with them on there

• 3 weeks later...

you could maybe remove the air filter an fit a cone filter to the carb using a rubber reducer

but in my opinion it wouldnt suit the bike

maybe try fitting a pancake style filter leave the back plate part of the standardair filter on an attack the pancake filter to it

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online