DT125LC MK3 CDI + pickup coil

AndyDtr08
This post is 4988 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, i thought i was very near to getting the final DT up and running. I started work on the electrics and have now spent many hours trying to just get a spark. I have power coming from the generator as my dad found out "oops". But when i test with a multimeter just as the wire leaving the CDI goes into the ignition coil, its extremley weak, and i get no spark. I've come to the conclusion that either the CDI is shit, or the pickup coil is shit. Either way its all poop atm and im fed up for today so ive packed up ready to go to work.

I've been trying to work from the the loom on my 2002 DT which works fine.

The main question is has anyone got a CDI unit for a mk3 LC and/or a pick up coil? I cant find any on ebay for a reasonable price and i also dont want to get a broken one that some moron on ebay has wacked on there to get a few quid even though its dead.

Or if anyone has any suggestions or ideas i could try.

Cheers guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So, i thought i was very near to getting the final DT up and running. I started work on the electrics and have now spent many hours trying to just get a spark. I have power coming from the generator as my dad found out "oops". But when i test with a multimeter just as the wire leaving the CDI goes into the ignition coil, its extremley weak, and i get no spark. I've come to the conclusion that either the CDI is shit, or the pickup coil is shit. Either way its all poop atm and im fed up for today so ive packed up ready to go to work.

I've been trying to work from the the loom on my 2002 DT which works fine.

The main question is has anyone got a CDI unit for a mk3 LC and/or a pick up coil? I cant find any on ebay for a reasonable price and i also dont want to get a broken one that some moron on ebay has wacked on there to get a few quid even though its dead.

Or if anyone has any suggestions or ideas i could try.

Cheers guys

Doesn't the 86 model have an ignition control unit as well ? Maybe the culprit.

Cdi's are fetching silly money atm, seen one go for £100+ not long ago.

You could try a cdi from a Sachs xtc-n 125 as they have DTR engine and similar cdi, might be worth a look as they aint as popular as the DTR, ebay.de have more spares for it though.

Doesn't the 86 model have an ignition control unit as well ? Maybe the culprit.

Cdi's are fetching silly money atm, seen one go for £100+ not long ago.

You could try a cdi from a Sachs xtc-n 125 as they have DTR engine and similar cdi, might be worth a look as they aint as popular as the DTR, ebay.de have more spares for it though.

Nice one. Good info. I thought it had the ignition control built into the CDI?

I just want to make it run!!! lol. Are there any other ways around it? I have another wiring loom but i dont know if i can fit that to the older bike. I've got 2 CDI's from the DTR. It's for offroad use only so i only need to make a spark, sounded easy at first. Apparently not!

Nice one. Good info. I thought it had the ignition control built into the CDI?

I just want to make it run!!! lol. Are there any other ways around it? I have another wiring loom but i dont know if i can fit that to the older bike. I've got 2 CDI's from the DTR. It's for offroad use only so i only need to make a spark, sounded easy at first. Apparently not!

The ICU was a separate unit on the early DTlc's.

LC schematic

dtlc.jpg

If you have a cdi from a DTR then it should be possible to wire that in to work.

Ditch your wiring loom and just wire the CDI to the generator, kill switch, ht coil and the side stand switch. And this should give you a spark iirc. (oh and an earth point).

DTR schematic ( note the same connections for the cdi to generator etc)

dtrw.jpg

If you have problems with the DTR CDI check the blue/yellow wire, this caused me a headache when i first tried to setup for off-roading.

PM me know if you need anymore help with which wires ect.

HTH

Vez.

The ICU was a separate unit on the early DTlc's. 

LC schematic

dtlc.jpg

If you have a cdi from a DTR then it should be possible to wire that in to work. 

Ditch your wiring loom and just wire the CDI to the generator, kill switch, ht coil and the side stand switch. And this should give you a spark iirc. (oh and an earth point).

DTR schematic ( note the same connections for the cdi to generator etc)

dtrw.jpg

If you have problems with the DTR CDI check the blue/yellow wire, this caused me a headache when i first tried to setup for off-roading.

PM me know if you need anymore help with which wires ect.

HTH

Vez.

cheers mate, really appreictate the help. i think im only working evening on saturday so ill have a go then. They look like different wiring diagrams to the ones i was using. I'm using th haynes for the LC. Knowing me im probabaly over complicating it or missing somthing simple. Electrics always confuse me. Ill give you a pm on saturday. Are the DTR CDi's worth alot or is it just the old LC's?

cheers mate, really appreictate the help. i think im only working evening on saturday so ill have a go then. They look like different wiring diagrams to the ones i was using. I'm using th haynes for the LC. Knowing me im probabaly over complicating it or missing somthing simple. Electrics always confuse me. Ill give you a pm on saturday. Are the DTR CDi's worth alot or is it just the old LC's?

I balls'ed it up and was looking at an early DTR schematic (3db model) :blush: , can't seem to find the LC schematic. If you can send a copy/scan of the circuit diagram i will take a look and try and help work something out.

I'm still sure that the LC has a ICU though, remember buying one in error for my first DTR and that was marked up as a DT125LC.

The DTR cdi's have been going for silly money, depending on what part number they are ( 88-97 versions) or when the seller posts them as being a de-restricted version :rolleyes: . But even the later ones seem to be fetching good money( itro £50-£100)

I balls'ed it up and was looking at an early DTR schematic (3db model)  :blush: , can't seem to find the LC schematic. If you can send a copy/scan of the circuit diagram i will take a look and try and help work something out. 

I'm still sure that the LC has a ICU though, remember buying one in error for my first DTR and that was marked up as a DT125LC. 

The DTR cdi's have been going for silly money, depending on what part number they are ( 88-97 versions) or when the seller posts them as being a de-restricted version  :rolleyes: . But even the later ones seem to be fetching good money( itro £50-£100)

I'll scan it in tonight or tomorrow. Yeah i've got 2 DTR CDI's spare atm one connected up to a full loom. Might try and get them on ebay if i dont use them for these bikes. Start putting the money towards a fazer. Im waiting for my £500 bursary to come through from college so i can take my full test and get a bigger bike. Unfortunately that will probably mean selling the DTRE due to space. But my brother still has an 89 DTR that he rarely uses so ill buy that and renovate!