XS400 gasoline appearing on exterior of rubber manifold intake carb boots

kindest
This post is 5026 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:rolleyes: what I'am assuming is gasoline.. what else could it be.

Now that she's getting rode more and more she is becoming wet on the exterior surface of the carb holder intake manifold boots. As you can tell from the pics they are old, cracked, beat up etc. I take it they need to be replaced to fix the problem. just making sure theres no other serious problem going on..

Also the little hose bib that comes out of it is capped.. the right side one has a vacumn line going to what looks like the petcock but the one in question on the left is capped.. is that normal? B)

th_04890_gas1_122_119lo.jpg

1st pic circles the area that becomes wet after a ride

th_04892_gas2_122_526lo.jpg

second pic shows the cap in question

the previous owner had a double a battery as a cap on another place..so I worry about the "caps". hehe

suprised that new rubber for both sides is pretty cheap. 30 bucks on ebay. not bad at all.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:rolleyes: what I'am assuming is gasoline.. what else could it be.

Now that she's getting rode more and more she is becoming wet on the exterior surface of the carb holder intake manifold boots. As you can tell from the pics they are old, cracked, beat up etc. I take it they need to be replaced to fix the problem. just making sure theres no other serious problem going on..

Also the little hose bib that comes out of it is capped.. the right side one has a vacumn line going to what looks like the petcock but the one in question on the left is capped.. is that normal? B)

th_04890_gas1_122_119lo.jpg

1st pic circles the area that becomes wet after a ride

th_04892_gas2_122_526lo.jpg

second pic shows the cap in question

the previous owner had a double a battery as a cap on another place..so I worry about the "caps". hehe

suprised that new rubber for both sides is pretty cheap. 30 bucks on ebay. not bad at all.

Yeah, replace the boots.

That one should be capped. Use it when you sync the carbs.

Those boots need to be replaced, but it seems odd to me that gas would seep from the inside out. Usually the concern is air leaking through the cracks because there is vacuum inside the boot. If there is vacuum inside when the engine is running, gas should not seep out. The only exception I could think of is if raw gas is leaking in when the engine is off due to a leaking float needle or bad petcock. There's probably something I am missing here.

Those boots need to be replaced, but it seems odd to me that gas would seep from the inside out. Usually the concern is air leaking through the cracks because there is vacuum inside the boot. If there is vacuum inside when the engine is running, gas should not seep out. The only exception I could think of is if raw gas is leaking in when the engine is off due to a leaking float needle or bad petcock. There's probably something I am missing here.

darnit. was hoping there was nothing else going on but it sounds like there is.

thanks guy will replace the rubber and go from there.

as some have said the cap is correct and only removed to sync carbs. this must be a air tight fit.

the rubbers do need changing for one the will be sucking minute amounts of air causing your mixture to be out also when the inlet valve is closed there will be a fine mist of fuel / air in these rubbers so possible seeping out but as kindest said it could be a leak from somewhere higher.chris

as some have said the cap is correct and only removed to sync carbs. this must be a air tight fit.

the rubbers do need changing for one the will be sucking minute amounts of air causing your mixture to be out also when the inlet valve is closed there will be a fine mist of fuel / air in these rubbers so possible seeping out but as kindest said it could be a leak from somewhere higher.chris

alright guys thanks.

when your bike is not in use do your turn the petcock to off so it doesn't have a chance of leaking somewhere down below.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online