1974 RD200A Electrical Issue

HRD2KCH
This post is 4997 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a '74 RD200A. Got it out of a barn where it has been sitting since 1993. Motor turns over great. Put a new battery in it and all the lights work great. If I tap the electric starter button, it's fine, but if I hold it down for more than a second or two, the fuse trips. I don't know what the proper name is, but I'll call it the main fuse, under the seat. It's a 20A fuse. Any ideas what could be causing that? Is there only one fuse for there whole bike? Should it be a 20A fuse. The in line fuse holder is not factory. It was just spliced in by the previous owner. Could that be an issue? HELP!

Chad

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I maybe wrong but i thought the A model was 1972-73 , anyway 20amp is correct for the bike , its sounds like its earthing out somewhere ,check your connectors they will probally be all fusty ,so its a good place to start with cleaning them the bike should have a 20amp fuse near the battery

have you checked the wattage of the bulbs make sure they are correct , if you are trying to start it and the wattage is too high and you have the lights switched on it could be the problem,

heres a link to the 200a wiring diagram which you can down load,

200a diagram

cheers

Al

Welcome by the way B)

Using the search will get you good answers. Here's one example.

Here's a link that still works for the 200A

Found the diagram from another forum with a good suggestion.

(That ol' Merv seems to get around :wavey: )

Motor turns over great. Put a new battery in it and all the lights work great. If I tap the electric starter button, it's fine, but if I hold it down for more than a second or two, the fuse trips.

Turns over great using the starter? Has it been running yet, and with the starter?

sounds to me like its getting resistance from somewhere(bad connection some where)trying to draw the power it needs through rusty connectors or earthing out somewhere.

thats where i would start if someone brought it to me. chris

Thank you for the replies! I started looking at the wires, especially the ground wires. On the voltage regulator, there are several wires that lead from the unit to a white female clip. I noticed that the black wire was broken right next to the clip. I am assuming that since it was black, it was a ground. I soldered the wire pieces together and wrapped them in some black heat shrink tube, reinstalled the pieces and a new 20A fuse. Everything works great! Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Thank you for the replies! I started looking at the wires, especially the ground wires. On the voltage regulator, there are several wires that lead from the unit to a white female clip. I noticed that the black wire was broken right next to the clip. I am assuming that since it was black, it was a ground. I soldered the wire pieces together and wrapped them in some black heat shrink tube, reinstalled the pieces and a new 20A fuse. Everything works great! Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

glad your all sorted , i wish all electrical issues were like this

cheers

AL

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online