Just got a Lowering kit plz advise

voodooray
This post is 5129 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dont think your gonna know til you fit the lowering kit and try it, if the bike handles like a wheelbarrow made of 'K-inex'TM, then yeah you might have to, never tried it myself and doubt whether 40mm drop at the rear would effect the front-much, just put your neck out a bit more :blink:

I just woundered do I need to lower the forks also?,

You don't have to, but as you are lowering the rear then you should lower the front too. However, if you take the fork down by the same amount (remember they are at an angle so 40mm on the forks isn't a 40mm drop) then the bike's handling will change, maybe not enough to notice, but the wheel base will be shorter, albeit a few mm's. I'd start by taking them down say 10mm at the yolk, and see how the bike rides.

Set yourself a route, and ride it before you install the lowering kit, then ride it again after, then lower your forks and ride it again, then lower then another 10mm and ride it again - you need to see if you can even notice a difference, then, if you can adjust the forks until you get the handling the same, or similar to how the bike originally rode.

The thing is with suspension modifications, you need a bit of testing to get it right for you - what works for you might not work for others.

Dont think your gonna know til you fit the lowering kit and try it, if the bike handles like a wheelbarrow make of 'K-inex'TM, then yeah you might have to, never tried it myself and doubt whether 40mm drop at the rear would effect the front-much, just put your neck out a bit more :blink:

Thanks mate for the reply :D

You don't have to, but as you are lowering the rear then you should lower the front too. However, if you take the fork down by the same amount (remember they are at an angle so 40mm on the forks isn't a 40mm drop) then the bike's handling will change, maybe not enough to notice, but the wheel base will be shorter, albeit a few mm's. I'd start by taking them down say 10mm at the yolk, and see how the bike rides.

Set yourself a route, and ride it before you install the lowering kit, then ride it again after, then lower your forks and ride it again, then lower then another 10mm and ride it again - you need to see if you can even notice a difference, then, if you can adjust the forks until you get the handling the same, or similar to how the bike originally rode.

The thing is with suspension modifications, you need a bit of testing to get it right for you - what works for you might not work for others.

Hay Thanks my friend I will try your advice,it`s not on my bike yet but I will have to let u know how I get on..safe safe

lowering the back will lengthen the wheel base resulting in your bike not turning into corners as fast, but as the others have said you probably wont notice.

dropping the front a little will shorten in back up.

only problem is your side stand will be a little long causing the bike to stand more upright and more prone to falling over .

chris

only problem is your side stand will be a little long causing the bike to stand more upright and more prone to falling over .

chris

I had trouble with this on my bandit even a gust of wind would have had it over depending on the camber it was on :o

... eventually I found that the previous model to mine had a stand about 20mm shorter. I got one and drilled it out to fit my pivot pin (also a different size) and it is ok now...

lowering the back will lengthen the wheel base resulting in your bike not turning into corners as fast, but as the others have said you probably wont notice.

chris

Cheers Chris. I`ve put the lowering kit on my R6 now,,your right on with the stand being to long now,,i`ll sort it,but i will lower the forks just 10mm for now and try it again..safe safe RayS

chris

Thanks my friend,i`ve put the kit on now seems ok for now,also put new rear tyre on so need to run her in for about 100mls or so before i can go silly!!Cheers RayS safe safe

Thanks my friend,i`ve put the kit on now seems ok for now,also put new rear tyre on so need to run her in for about 100mls or so before i can go silly!!Cheers RayS safe safe

your welcome

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online