jump-starting 650 dragstar...

r3reachme
This post is 5061 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've just come back from a short break away without the bike to find that it won't start and none of the service lights come on when turning the key in the ignition. I also noticed that I'd left the sidelights on for all the time that I was away so I'm pretty sure I've drained all life out of the battery.

My question is has anybody had any experience jump starting a dead dragstar? I had a quick look in the manual and it said not to attempt it and to take the bike to a dealer but I'm damned if I'll do that if i can just hook up some jump leads or roll it down a hill in gear.

Any advice either way is most welcome.

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I did the same to mine a while ago.

I couldn't get my wife to run fast enough to jump start it :D so used jump leads from my car.

However it wouldn't keep running after it started, when disconnected from the car so had to put the battery on charge.

It's been ok ever since.

I think you'd best take the time to charge the battery. Best to charge on 2a/h. It'll take longer (6-12hr) but it will be less damaging to the battery.

A completely dead battery will need charging.

Even then, it might not be salvagable.

If you have all the engine lights etc, then you can jump or bump it, but a charge will still be neccesary.

To bump:

Ignition off, click into Neutral.

Shove it along, preferably down a steep hill.

Switch on ignition.

Clutch in and click up into 2nd.

Make sure the bike is going straight and upright on the most level road available.

Dump clutch and rev throttle - Be ready for the bike to lurch foward.

Pull in and click into Neutral.

Hold the bike at medium revs for a few minutes.

When you've done what you need to, get the battery on charge.