Yamaha XT 125 R starting problems

DJW997
This post is 4984 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all - just having a problem with my xt125. The bike normaly starts right up with no problems, was using it the day before yesterday and it started and ran fine. But today i tried to start it on its side stand and the starter motor just 'clicked', as if the engine was seized. I tried pushing on the kick-start with my hand, and the engine would still not turn over. (The bike was in neutral - just to rule that out). I got the bike off its side stand and moved it back and forth, eventually it fired right up. This has happened to me once before, earlier this week when went to take the bike for its MOT.

I've never come accross this kind of problem before. So I was wondering if anyone might know what it is? My only guesses are that perhaps the bike 'slipped' into gear slightly? Though I leave it in neutral when I turn it off. If that is even possible - usually if the bike is in gear, the starter motor won't even try to engage unless the clutch is pulled in as a safety feature. Or maybe because the bike was left out in the rain yesterday? (it was tipping it down all day long.)

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could be a duff battery, not enough Oooomph to turn the beast over anymore :D . The jamming bit would be a symptom of this I think. rocking the bike back and forth would be a good way to try to disengage the starter,

That beast of a 125 ;) hehe. That is actually a very good point, I forgot to mention this on the opening post, when I was holding the starter button, the battery bar would flash up on the display. But I checked the bike's battery level display, and it showed about 60-75%. I also tested it with a multi-meter just the other week and it looked ok. Was 12.38v or something like that, which I think is ok, but I did stick it on the charger for a couple of hours anyway. I'll measure the battery again tommorow.

So the jamming of the engine when trying to use the kick start could be the starter not disengaging after trying to crank the engine you think?

So the jamming of the engine when trying to use the kick start could be the starter not disengaging after trying to crank the engine you think?

Yes, I'm no expert but that's what I think could be happening. I know you never get much room on a bike battery...but can you get a bigger (car) battary connected to it with jump leads? then you can be sure that a new battery is needed.

Yes, I'm no expert but that's what I think could be happening. I know you never get much room on a bike battery...but can you get a bigger (car) battary connected to it with jump leads? then you can be sure that a new battery is needed.

Ok - I have a jump-pack sitting around somewhere, I think it might be dead though. Would a standard 12v car battery charger be any good? If it happens again, i'll give that a try.

Ok - I have a jump-pack sitting around somewhere, I think it might be dead though. Would a standard 12v car battery charger be any good? If it happens again, i'll give that a try.

I dont think the charger will be good enough, the jump pack would have been ideal...or leads from a car battery. like I said though space is sometimes a problem, to get the clips on properly.

I dont think the charger will be good enough, the jump pack would have been ideal...or leads from a car battery. like I said though space is sometimes a problem, to get the clips on properly.

Ok then - I'll try the jump pack, if that fails i'll get hold of a car battery. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online