Bypassing the Electronic Igniton modual?

10K plus
This post is 5140 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well there I was wondering if anybody had bypassed the Ignition box on a 1981 xs400s (or the like)? I just found a few prices that are more than the bike itself for a new unit lol! Being an electronic ignition can I use say like a Pertronix box maybe and some aftermarket coils? Anybody have any thoughts on this? thanks - Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well there I was wondering if anybody had bypassed the Ignition box on a 1981 xs400s (or the like)? I just found a few prices that are more than the bike itself for a new unit lol! Being an electronic ignition can I use say like a Pertronix box maybe and some aftermarket coils? Anybody have any thoughts on this? thanks - Mike

I defer to the folks with experience on this but I have seen used ones listed on ebay for much more reasonable prices. I would go that route before I would attempt some other questionable modification. I am only familiar with Pertronix units for cars. If that is what you mean, I really don't know if it would be possible to adapt one of those to our bikes.

no idea where you live as you havn't updated your profile, but a poster on here can repair them ( can't think of his name ATM)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online