dt restoration

beeson
This post is 5134 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Presuming you mean a DT125R.

Calipers: Yamaha Dealer, won't be cheap though and ebay.

The wavy discs on ebay are from China (wouldn't recommend them as too cheap to be good quality imo).

Pads: probably ebay or local bike shop.

An introduction would be nice ;).

Vez.

If you are 'Restoring' a bike, then adding using a non-original part like a 'wavy disc' is taking it AWAY from show-room spec, not towards it.

So you aren't 'restoring' it, you are 'renovating' (Improving overall condition & serviceability, without regard to original specification) with possibly a little modification / cusomisation going on, if adding more fasionable or (cough) higher performance parts.

(cough) was becouse notion that wavy discs perform better than plain ones is a little anomolouse; they are lighter, and they liik trick, but whether they actually improve braking much remains a matter of opinion.

Better upgrade would be a braided steel brake hose, especially on a dirt-bike with comparititively long rubber hose with more volume to swell under pressure.

Symantics, but hey-ho.....

Worth noting if ever you use the term on e-bay or the like though, as STRICTLY if you describe a bike as 'Restored' then by strict interpretation that means you have returned it EXACTLY to the show-room standard, not simply fixed it up so it works, and given it a new coat of paint and some cheap replica decals!

If you are 'Restoring' a bike, then adding using a non-original part like a 'wavy disc' is taking it AWAY from show-room spec, not towards it.

So you aren't 'restoring' it, you are 'renovating' (Improving overall condition & serviceability, without regard to original specification) with possibly a little modification / cusomisation going on, if adding more fasionable or (cough) higher performance parts.

(cough) was becouse notion that wavy discs perform better than plain ones is a little anomolouse; they are lighter, and they liik trick, but whether they actually improve braking much remains a matter of opinion.

Better upgrade would be a braided steel brake hose, especially on a dirt-bike with comparititively long rubber hose with more volume to swell under pressure.

Symantics, but hey-ho.....

Worth noting if ever you use the term on e-bay or the like though, as STRICTLY if you describe a bike as 'Restored' then by strict interpretation that means you have returned it EXACTLY to the show-room standard, not simply fixed it up so it works, and given it a new coat of paint and some cheap replica decals!

Wavy discs came about because the notches that create the wave remove mud etc from the disc and pads during motion, thus increasing the breaking potential compared to standard round discs, do some research ;)

Wavy discs came about because the notches that create the wave remove mud etc from the disc and pads during motion, thus increasing the breaking potential compared to standard round discs, do some research before calling something opinion.

Yup... thats why I stated it was a matter of 'opinion' NOT a 'fact'.

As for research, no need, I KNOW the pro's and cons of wavy-discs; and I wasn't going to go so far off-topic here, when my comment was a small correction in terminology, the OP may like to note for reference.

But as YOU state, benefits are in ONE set of particular circumstances; discontinuity offers a relief grove for muck on the disc to clear the gripping area, like the tread does on a tyre to keep the contact patch clear.

On a dirt bike, used hard on dirt, that one small advantage MAY be of some benefit IF you are in a situation where having that bit added braking may be an advantage. Given that normally if the surface you were riding was muddy enough to acrue such crud on the disc that it needed clearing, chances are the lost braking effect PROBABLY wouldn't matter as you wouldn't have the grip to transmit added braking force, you'd just lock the wheel instead.

TWO places where they may be a tad more useful are in trials where you WANT to lock the wheel, and dont tend to be going that fast, or in Motard, where you are on a mixed surface, and dirt sections may chuck the muck on the disc, but the tarmac sections may give you chance to use full braking, but where the use of a BIGGER wavy disc with SMALLER wheel, gives it greater mechanical advantage to offset the other dissadvantages.

In either circumstances benefits are marginal and specific, and for the 'advantage' you have a disc that has less metal in it, (especially if you are using a stock size wavy disc to replace stock sized solid one!) meaning less rubbed area, meaning less max braking force ALL the time, and less heat dissipation, meaning more chance of a warped disc, (aided by the stress raisers of the relief cuts) and suggesting harder brake pads, meaning less ultimate breaking power.

Its ALL swings and roundabouts, and wavy discs, if YOU do YOUR research are NOT a universal 'upgrade' to give better stopping in ALL circumstances.... in FACT they ACTUALLY have RATHER a lot of pottentially LESS helpful properties....

But like I said, its a matter of 'opinion', an awful lot of it subjective and circumstance dependant as to whether a wavy disc has ANY useful advantages....not 'Fact'

Perhaps, you'd like to consider the difference between 'opinion' & 'fact' before wading in suggesting an 'opinion' is wrong....

Believe it was Mark Twain who said "I did not have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one instead."  I think its very suiting to you Mike. 

Continuing this discussion is a waste of time with someone who KNOWs it all already  :rolleyes:

BTW I'm pretty sure everyone knew what the OP meant, so there is no need to be a grammar nazi. You want perfect grammar, go find an English language discussion forum and correct people there. This is a bike forum, so grammar is not the priority in my opinion.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online