Rear Tire Sliding

David Baker
This post is 4999 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey,

am new to this forum so i'll try to give as much detail as i can. I've just had my 600 mile service on my XJ6S and never really had any problems with it until after this. I brought it home fine on the motorway but when in the cold or wet mornings or on first starts during the day, the back wheel steps out quite a lot when i brake. Could they have increased the strength of the back brake without telling me, could it be just the cold tires mixed with the rain in Glasgow, could i have just hit a bad patch of diesel on the road (Although it was stepping out when braking in a straight line quiet a few times? Am a new biker and never really experienced this much at all. Could i be riding the bike too hard to begin with in the morning cause its passed its first break in peroid?

Your thoughts would be grateful,

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You say you are a new biker so... How much ar you using the front brake. It happens where people think the front brake will dump them on the tarmac or over the bars if they use too much. So they use progressively more back brake to compensate for their increaced speed.

It is ridiculously easy to lock the rear and it sounds like this may be the issue.

A bloke i used to work with was adamant the rear was a better brake even on a hot sunny day his rear disc was blue'd it had got that hot, and the frons were cold :blink:

hi, i have an xj6 also and the standard BT021s do slip around a bit in the wet, i found the rear to be quite willing to slide out under duress. Coupled with the fact the rear brake has little feel, i can see how this may be happening.

I never use the rear brake unless im filtering or emergency stopping, so this situation of slipping only occured for me when cornering.

I now have a different rear tyre (and front) and havent had a problem. Best bet is replace the tyres as soon as they are worn (or earlier if you want to spend).

The tires have millions of tread left on them, they are brand new Dunlop's i think that came with the bike. I know where your coming on with the rear brake having no feel to it, you can literally stand on it and only then will u get something in the feel department. I think you could be right Cynic, I might just not want to ruin my new toy within the first couple of months of getting it. I've also found that the grips got progressively better the further into the week i go (check tire pressure once or twice a week). Could running too high on air in the back tire cause it to slide? I trained on an Xj6 and a honda cbf 500 and have found the honda to have way more grip than the XJ. I did a lot of my training in the wet and found that the honda never slid at all :S Weird

Tried my hand at filtering today, nerve racking as hell. Some motorists give you space, some close it down.

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, I'm having the same problem with my YBR Custom, done almost 4000 miles on it, and it suddenly started doing sliding out and "wobbling" when I turn. Started to happen after skidding on diesel while doing an emergency stop :angry:

An old biker at work thought I might have put too much pressure on the rear brake and jammed it on slightly?

Oddly enough, I'm having the same problem with my YBR Custom, done almost 4000 miles on it, and it suddenly started doing sliding out and "wobbling" when I turn. Started to happen after skidding on diesel while doing an emergency stop :angry:

An old biker at work thought I might have put too much pressure on the rear brake and jammed it on slightly?

Have you stiffened your rear suspension at all? I think i was too heavy handed with the back brake after tightening my rear suspension. I also found that happened to me with the diesel but after a long hard ride and a good wash down it went away.

Have you stiffened your rear suspension at all? I think i was too heavy handed with the back brake after tightening my rear suspension. I also found that happened to me with the diesel but after a long hard ride and a good wash down it went away.

I've not done anything with the suspension, but it seems ok today, I scrubbed the tires and let 2psi out of the rear. The ride to work was nowhere near as scary on the roundabout.

Quite often I find people (myself included) are doing one of two things:

1/. Instinctively applying some back brake without realising it. Happens more with car drivers who do things with the feet anyway, but bikers do it too. Harder to spot on a bike that has no 'feel' or feedback on the rear brake.

2/. "Braking onto the back brake". Odd one this - Basically, as you apply the front brake, your bodyweight is thrown forward. To counter this, you push yourself backward/more upright. It's a natural reflex. You'll even start to brace for it in anticipation, before you actually apply the brakes.

Now, to push back against the braking force, you need to push against something. What are your main points of stability and contact with the bike?

Yep - Hands and feet.

You learn not to disturb the hands too much, so your next point will be the feet... right where the rear brake is.

Check where your right foot normally sits on the peg, especially the toe.

If your toe is usually 'covering' the brake pedal, that could quite possibly be a cause.

Just being aware of it and altering your foot position slightly will resolve it within a few days of riding.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online