1972 CS5 Gear Oil Level

cluseau
This post is 5122 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1972 CS5 twin cylinder two stroke. The side of the gear case is stamped 850 cc and the shop manual calls for 850 ml of oil. When I add this amount it is WAY above the high mark on the dipstick and it appears to be am much higher oil level than other similar bikes I have owned (RD350 and RD250). It also leaks when ridden, perhaps due to overfilling. I have drained and refilled it twice letting it drain overnight and rocking carefully to get all the old oil out. I am tempted to remove oil until the level agrees with the marks on the dipstick but I am afraid of possible transmission damage. Does someone who really knows have an idea what is the correct oil level? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you tried running the engine for a few minutes after you have put the 850ml of oil in and then checking the oil level ? This was a common thing on the RD200 engines when you did an oil change you think you put too much in but after running the engine the oil level would drop as it equalised in the crankcase. Also when checking the level after you have run the engine make sure the bike is on level ground and upright and take out the dipstick wipe it and then just rest the dipstick on the case threads without screwing it in to check the level . Tony

I am new to this forum and thought that all posts would be forwarded to my e-mail. I guess that is not how it works. That is why I am tardy in responding...

Thanks for your responses. I am NOT sure that I have the original dipstick however it looks like others that I have had owned (RD250 and RD350). When I add 850 ml the oil is visible from the filler hole and looks like it is only an inch or so below it. That is much higher than any bike that I have ever owned.

I have run the bike about 100 miles since adding 850 ml of oil and it leaks quite a bit. My question is the leakage due to overfilling or due to the fact that I have leaking parts? Some oil seems to be coming from inside the cover where the oil injection pump is located. I have ordered new seals for the engine and a new gasket for the right side case cover which also seems to be leaking. My local dealer who owns an RD350 feels that if it is not coming out of the crankcase breather hose the oil level is probably correct, repair the parts that appear to be leaking and go riding. That is my planned course of action however I was interested in finding out if anyone else had experience with one of these quite rare old bikes.

Thanks.....John

are you in the uk ? the yamaha technical number is 01932358000 they will know how much oil , dont always believe the stamp on the casing my yzf 750 is stamped wrong, although the manual is right. chris

Had the same thing on a RS200, said 850 on the cases and in the manual. When it had been run a few miles the level was ok. Ticking over on the stand did not work. Is it the gearbox oil thats leaking or the 2 stroke oil thats leaking from around the cover where the oil injection pump is located?

Based upon a very unscientific color test I believe the oil that I am seeing is gearbox oil. I am using two stroke honda oil which is kind of purple color. The oil that I am seeing is more clear.

I am located in the U.S. and the shop manual agrees with the stamping on the case. I just ordered a rather expensive original owners manual which may shed some light on what is going on. I couldn't find any dip sticks on e-bay or I might have ordered one with the correct part just to see if it matched mine.

I e-mailed a fellow on E-Bay who had the correct number dip stick for sale and he gave me the dimensions of that part. They match mine. Now my dilema is do I lower my oil level to match the dip stick or to run with the amount of oil (850 ml) given in the owners manual, shop manual and stamped on the the side of the crankcase? The owners manual actually shows how to check the oil level, that the level should be checked by not screwing in the dipstick and the level should be between the marks on the stick. By that measure I am quite overfilled on my machine. I need adviced from a fellow CS5 owner on their experience with this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the solution from a fellow owner at the Blackhawk Iowa swap meet. When the drain plug is pulled on a CS3 or CS5 oil remains in the clutch chamber. When the 850 ml called for in the manuals (both owners and shop) is added the bike is overfilled and leaks. If the oil is only filled to the full mark on the dip stick life is good. The fact that neither manual mentions this fact is quite an oversight. I hope this will save some other owner some grief. As is is all I lost was some oil...... This should close this issue.

• Who's Online (See full list)