1981 XS400 Hydraulic Clutch????

TommyBoyXS400
This post is 5045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. Has anyone heard if there is a hydraulic clutch kit for the xs models? I can find kits for the FJ series but not the XS. Would it be worth the time and money for the kits or is there any way to make the clutch engage more smoothly. It feels like I am pulling a 20 pound weight when I pull the clutch lever.

Any help would be awesome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The clutch should be pretty light on these - what state is the cable in? Also check the routing of the cable, get it wrong and you're fighting physics all the way.

I agree. Make sure there are no sharp bends and get get a proper cable lube device and lube the cable. Also, consider taking the sprocket cover off and lubing the clutch actuator parts with some grease. Should be pretty light. I wouldn't spend the money on a hydraulic clutch kit even if I could find one.

Well the cable is brand new and I removed the actuator and greased it up. Still have a wicked pull to it. Should the clutch pushrod be easy to move or should it be hard to move?

I find it almost impossible to move the rod by hand with the sprocket cover off, but it seems to work fine with the clutch lever.