1981 XS400 Special II Electrical Problems??????

TommyBoyXS400
This post is 5049 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone. New to this site but the info i've seen has been priceless. Here's my problem.

I rebuilt this bike from the ground up. It had sat for years in an old barn. I rebuilt the motor, carbs and pretty much everything else. I put everything back together and it ran great for about a day or two. No whenever I turn the key on the main fuse blows. I read on one of the threads here to hook up a 12v light to the main fuse and if it lights up it is still shorting. I got the light to shut off but any time i hit the brakes or turn on the turn signals it trips the fuse. Once i shut the turn signal off or let off the brake the light goes off. I've taken the wiring harness off and inspected all the connections and wires look good. Any help would be awesome as I've been working on this bike off and on for 4 years and have been dying to get it out on the road.

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone. New to this site but the info i've seen has been priceless. Here's my problem.

I rebuilt this bike from the ground up. It had sat for years in an old barn. I rebuilt the motor, carbs and pretty much everything else. I put everything back together and it ran great for about a day or two. No whenever I turn the key on the main fuse blows. I read on one of the threads here to hook up a 12v light to the main fuse and if it lights up it is still shorting. I got the light to shut off but any time i hit the brakes or turn on the turn signals it trips the fuse. Once i shut the turn signal off or let off the brake the light goes off. I've taken the wiring harness off and inspected all the connections and wires look good. Any help would be awesome as I've been working on this bike off and on for 4 years and have been dying to get it out on the road.

Thanks!

What size fuse are you using for the main?

Check the wiring inside the headlamp and if you don't find your problem there, the wiring in the handlebar switch gear.

Check the wiring inside the headlamp and if you don't find your problem there, the wiring in the handlebar switch gear.

this is where i would start too

this is where i would start too

You need to pay close attention to wire colours - I've often got a wire thats a similiar colour in the wrong slot. Watch out for dark brown wires being put in black connectors. Black is earth!

Just to let everyone know the electrical is back up and running with no shorts. I feel like a jacka$$. It turns out that my light i was using to check for shorts was grounded so anytime there was power it was on.... Oh well I only wasted 2 days checking everything so it's all working perfectly...

Just to let everyone know the electrical is back up and running with no shorts. I feel like a jacka$$. It turns out that my light i was using to check for shorts was grounded so anytime there was power it was on.... Oh well I only wasted 2 days checking everything so it's all working perfectly...

:lol: :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online