help with timing

cegan09
This post is 4494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm trying to reset everything on my bike, but i'm having some issues with the timing. I've got a timing light, but i'm having issues with the markings on the rotor. The markings don't match what the factory manual shows. can someone point out which markings are which on this rotor?

IMAG0009-1.jpg

IMAG0010-1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

FR firing right pot, FL firing left pot. these are the markings you use to strobe.

make sure the bike is at tickover ie not activating the advance mechanism.

I'd highlight those markings with tipex paint,

the LT and RT marks are for valve adjustment

Thanks Drewpy. Just to clarify, which line do those go with. there are two lines on either side of FR and FL. I just need to know which line it should be lining up with. The book shows much fewer lines.

looking at the other markings in the pictures, i would say its to the right of the text, like on my xs400

Thanks again Drewpy, line to the right seems to make sense. I just wanted to check before i screwed up the timing too bad.

• 1 year later...

The mark to use for ignition timing is actually just to the LEFT of the F. The pair of marks to the right of the F are used to check (with a timing light) that the advance unit is working properly.

Hope you didn't get some wicked kickback!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online