SR 250 NEW Fork Oil Seal fitting

Emzed
This post is 5152 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys n gals, its that pesky Emzed again :unsure:

I'm having trouble getting the "allen" screws out of the fork bottoms :(

The screw is just going round and round and round, with no sign of un-tightning.

The damper tube is just spinning in the leg.

Is there a "Special Yamaha" tool to hold this damper tube whilst unscrewing the allen bolt ?

Hope someone has a clue, cos I hav'nt and I'm fast running out of patience with this bike :-(

(come back MZ's all is forgiven)

Em B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its never happened to me so I have no experience of it, I think I read somewhere about jamming some sort of a piece of wood down there but can't remember what it was or how it worked. I was thinking though...can you fill the leg with water and freeze it in a chest freezer( spring removed and open at the top)..do you think that might get a grip of the damper tube?

Just a guess :rolleyes:

there is a special tool, i made one for my fzr 400, out of a 4 foot long 5/8 threaded bar with two 5/8 nuts on each end locked together(4 nuts in total)

you undo the top of the forks drain oil take out springs etc and slide the tool down the inside of the fork and it engages with a socket type hole at the bottom.

with a spanner on the other end of your tool the allen bolt can be undone.as you try to undo the allen bolt you will feel the tool try to turn, you will need long arms or two people.

the only thing you will have to find out is the size of the nuts to use, i am sure some bike are different but all the yamaha ones i have done have been 5/8 s chris

Yep, done it with a friend

Handle of a sweeping brush made into a slight V

Put into the fork, and tap it in till its tight,,hold and loosen allen bolt.

The brush handle keeps comming loose so keep resharpining the V bit.

It works good enough to get the job done--------we had a very short brush handle when we finished. :D

It works good enough to get the job done--------we had a very short brush handle when we finished. :D

Cheers guys :thumb:

I was going to go with the brush handle idea :unsure: as it would lessen the possibility of terminal damage to the damper tube :icon_sad:

{I used to use one for drawing the fork stanchions into Beeza yokes [the top yoke has a taper], but I stopped doing that when I smashed myself in the teeth when the "threads" let go :o) ouch }

But as Chris has now informed us that the damper tube has a hexagon inside

I think I'll have a go with a length of 8mm studding which I have lying around somewhere.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Ciao4now

Em B)

well done , now its out you could measure the damper hole and make the tool for future use. cost me about £5 to make and i have used it many times/

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online