1981 XV750

Lion486
This post is 5074 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,I just bought my first Yamaha, a 1981 XV750 off Ebay. It wouldn't start when I arrived on the train from Leeds to Peterborough and I was becoming a little disallusioned after two and a half hours of fiddling with a slow starter, flat battery and stripping the carbs. Eventually though I went out on the pillion and it was pulling like a train until we wobbled round a bend due to low rear tyre pressure!! Once I had changed my underwear and taken a couple of Vallium tabs I was feeling OK about everything and I handed over the dosh and set off up the Great North Road with an imbecile grin cramping up my facial muscles!! The euphoria lasted for 30 miles until the old girl cut out when I stopped to fasten up the collar stud on my jacket at a Chinese Restaurant on the A1. Slow starter and wouldn't bump off. Called out Green Flag and naturally I didn't want to be recovered so, when she started on the jump cables I thraped off North again followed by the breakdown truck. After 6 miles they peeled off and not long after I waved them off guess what. Yes, she conked out again!!! They insisted on recovering me this time so I brought her home on a trailer, much to the amusement of the neighbours! Fortunately the Wife was away for the weekend so her scornful remarks came much later. Since then I have cleaned all the crap out of the tank and ordered a carb repair kit so should be running sweet soon. I will keep you informed. Regards

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pretty much a non-runner... Hope you got it cheap.

Still, that's one hell of a way to get acquainted with the bike, eh!! :D

Welcome to the forum, chap!!

hi and welcome, once you have it running right i suggest putting an inline fuel filter on as its probably just a little rust.

the other thing is it probably needs a new battery,or the charging system looked at. good luck chris

• 2 months later...

hi and welcome, once you have it running right i suggest putting an inline fuel filter on as its probably just a little rust.

the other thing is it probably needs a new battery,or the charging system looked at. good luck chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online