xv535

Yamaha VIN Decoder

I have recently aquired an xj600 with which i plan to build a chop, the previous owner lost the reg document and plate so i dont know the reg number. Can i find this out somewhere on line by inputting the vin number? its an early model so the 17 digit decoder wont work.. Any help greatly appreciated

See if you can get in touch with a Yamaha main dealer and give them your engine number/frame number and see if they can identify when it was registered, I gave mine to Wigan Yamaha to order some parts and judging by his reaction to entering the number, he got a screen with all the information of my bike. Worth a try :)

From my research it looks like Yamaha changed from a 9 digit VIN to 17 digits in the mid 90's. I found this chart that identifies older bikes by the 3 digit prefix on the serial. Hope this helps some folks. 

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/yamaha-model-prefix-motorcycles-1970-1994.aspx

Have a friend who has an RD200DX,  engine No 1e8-400433 which relates to 1980, however first 3 digits of the frame No are not visible  ???-101753  v5 has been lost, and reg plate never came on the bike. Is it possible to get a v5 for this bike with its original reg No as the previous owner said it had a 3 digit reg which would make it worth a few Bob here in N.I

Hi guys, I too having trouble, I got a barn find sr125 today for a resto and the registration letter is for 1988 but I did a quick dvla check and they are saying it's a 1982 I know the model and parts are probably near identical but I would like to work this out before applying for the v5 or starting any work

Hi guys,I'm also having similar troubles trying to identify the yr and model of my dt 125,i bought it without a log and only have the reg to go on,I've looked though some of the 9 digit vin lists and mine isn't among them,the frame number is 3TT - 095066,any help you guys might be able to offer would be great,I don't want to order any wrong parts lol

Sure that isn't 3TT7- 000000, that would make it an import from out east.

That's how it is stamped on the frame 3TT 095066,called a couple parts dealers yesterday with that frame number,it kept coming up as a dtr 125 watercooled lol

Lol all you like. Doesent help.

Without a picture your stuck now. What reg is it.

The reg is PL03 FEV,I've tried posting a picture but it above 0.49 mb

Aircooled? That should be a white 125 registerd in 2003.

Taxed last, 01/11/08 and mot ran out 13/11/08. Something is off, at that age and aircooled it was only used out east, the dt125 aircooled were last imported here early 1980's. Unless someone has retro fitted an aicooled lump to a dtr, unlikely but it will fit (ish). If the lc lump blew and they had an aircooled lump floating around, I suppose. Be good for the dirt.

Whats the engine number?

Must be an early bike that was imported,forgotten about then registered for the road in 2003,that's really weird,might be why some parts dealers are confused about what the bike actually is then,I'll see if I can find the engine number in a bit,thanks for the info and help so far cynic

Weird, really need a picture.

Use something like flikr to post some pictures, then let us have the link. We need to see this to know properly. There are more DT's out there than most others bikes and they do get forgotten in dealers.

Should mean a period engine/chassis number though not this one. Still odd.

Just found this searching about,

Old thread but its got your problem written all over it.

My bike is exactly the same as what Ritchie has,just a bit older maybe

When you say exactly, what are the differences, apart from the colour which is white for yours.

Those bikes were never officially imported to the uk, they did actually break the early 12hp learner laws, not the current ones though as they work out at 14hp which this is ok at. If its has any restriction at all.

The liquid cooled bikes took over in around 83/84 so yours must be some kind of parallel. Don't fret it though as 99% of the parts are the same as the early LC and the aircooled. None of the main consumables are  rare as the bikes are still popular.

Even today over 30 years later.

On 03/10/2015 at 11:48 PM, roadracejoe said:

Have a friend who has an RD200DX,  engine No 1e8-400433 which relates to 1980, however first 3 digits of the frame No are not visible  ???-101753  v5 has been lost, and reg plate never came on the bike. Is it possible to get a v5 for this bike with its original reg No as the previous owner said it had a 3 digit reg which would make it worth a few Bob here in N.I

if you can get hold of a ultra violet light note scanner that sort of thing you should be able to make out the prefix hope this helps

• Like 1

Can anyone help me please I have been trying to find more information on my dtr125 I was told it was a 88 but unsure due to been off road all the numbers match up with engine and frame but I can't find anything out due to the vin been only 9 didgits vin is 3MD-010817 any help would be much appreciated hoping to get her back on the road if I can thanks 

Thats a dt 125 from 89 to 92. Now do it properly and start a fresh thread in the workshop area.

Saying hi in the new members area would be good too.