suspension to rear spindle idea

Paulwhite
This post is 5159 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all iv been looking at the rear suspension setup on me dragster bobber and wouldnt mind lowering the rear shocks ( finding it hard to find new smaller shocks!! ) and came up with the idea of using the rear wheal spindle as a hook up point for the rear shocks (if you get what i mean.) im thinking of making a new spindle out of some studding then put a steal tube over to get it to the right thickness sort of like a bush, if i make the new one longer then il be able to mount the shocks to it, but i need to know if it would be safe to do this? in theory it would all work fine as the spindle just holds the wheel to the swingarm but saying that there is allot of pulling power and stress that gets applied to it so im unsure.

plus to make it fit iv got to cut off the original swingarm mounting points for the shocks so i dont want to go ahead and do it to find that it wont work or its not strong enough and snaps or bends, cause then i would of wasted a perfectly good swingarm :blink:

so yeah any advice would be appreciated

cheers. Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all iv been looking at the rear suspension setup on me dragster bobber and wouldnt mind lowering the rear shocks ( finding it hard to find new smaller shocks!! ) and came up with the idea of using the rear wheal spindle as a hook up point for the rear shocks (if you get what i mean.) im thinking of making a new spindle out of some studding then put a steal tube over to get it to the right thickness sort of like a bush, if i make the new one longer then il be able to mount the shocks to it, but i need to know if it would be safe to do this? in theory it would all work fine as the spindle just holds the wheel to the swingarm but saying that there is allot of pulling power and stress that gets applied to it so im unsure.

plus to make it fit iv got to cut off the original swingarm mounting points for the shocks so i dont want to go ahead and do it to find that it wont work or its not strong enough and snaps or bends, cause then i would of wasted a perfectly good swingarm :blink:

so yeah any advice would be appreciated

cheers. Paul.

Hi Paul

The idea sounds sound but for the hassel you might be better off just looking at some shorter shocks first.

Cheers Chris

hi and yes i have looked for some, the problem iv found is you can get smaller shocks but the fixing bushes are either too big or too small plus they will cost over £40 and im trying to spend as little dosh as possible, i have found some that would be a perfect fit but again the price tag is way too big (£120) the other factor would be the spring rate compared to the weight of the bike, all the smaller shocks iv found are too small for the weight of the bike with rider.

i was looking last night at the idea and it wont cost more than £20 to do it, but as iv said i just need to know if it would withstand the stress before i go ahead, im going to get all the bits from the local B&Q but cant really say there renowned for their high quality steal.