xs400 ground on battery box

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5075 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Silly/simple question but I just wanted to make sure I put back my xs400 exactly as it was ...

There was a ground wire with a circle ended terminal, which was placed where the left side of the battery box is screwed in.

When i took it apart, the battery box screws had metal washers. I was just curious on where exactly those washers went, as i forgot.

I forget if the washer on the left side was placed on bottom after the ground (maybe to help ensure good contact with ground wire), or on top to go along with top of the bolt screw (i guess both sides have same setup with washers but forget).

So basically just curious on the order to put it back together.

A. put the ground wire on the frame (on hole where screw gets screwed in), then the metal washer then the battery, then screw in to tighten. (or maybe ground doesnt need the washer to help ground it and it is...

B. put the ground wire on the frame (on hole where screw gets screwed in), then the battery, then the metal washer, then screw to tighten.

C. battery, then ground wire above battery hole, then washer, then screw to tighten?

D. another way?

I'm guessing B. but just thought I'd confirm.

Also what is best way to ground a new load device on a bike, would you:

A. splice the new load's ground wire into one of the other black ground wires going back to the main ground wire.

B. just have it go somewhere else by itself on the frame.

(I wasn't sure if having more flow of electricity would harm things, like the ground always has close to 0v i was reading but still amperage, so not sure if the ground wire has possibility to melt hehe). I'm converting my xs400 to electric and instructions say to ground the new igniter unit, just want to be safe how I'm doing that.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Silly/simple question but I just wanted to make sure I put back my xs400 exactly as it was ...

There was a ground wire with a circle ended terminal, which was placed where the left side of the battery box is screwed in.

When i took it apart, the battery box screws had metal washers. I was just curious on where exactly those washers went, as i forgot.

I forget if the washer on the left side was placed on bottom after the ground (maybe to help ensure good contact with ground wire), or on top to go along with top of the bolt screw (i guess both sides have same setup with washers but forget).

So basically just curious on the order to put it back together.

A. put the ground wire on the frame (on hole where screw gets screwed in), then the metal washer then the battery, then screw in to tighten. (or maybe ground doesnt need the washer to help ground it and it is...

B. put the ground wire on the frame (on hole where screw gets screwed in), then the battery, then the metal washer, then screw to tighten.

C. battery, then ground wire above battery hole, then washer, then screw to tighten?

D. another way?

I'm guessing B. but just thought I'd confirm.

Also what is best way to ground a new load device on a bike, would you:

A. splice the new load's ground wire into one of the other black ground wires going back to the main ground wire.

B. just have it go somewhere else by itself on the frame.

(I wasn't sure if having more flow of electricity would harm things, like the ground always has close to 0v i was reading but still amperage, so not sure if the wire would melt on the ground hehe)

I might have the same question myself. Here is a bad pic of before removing batt. box. But who's to say the prev owner had it right. :huh: (i wanna know why all 4 fuses are 15Amp) (these are good reasons to soon get the real deal Manuf. service manual, suppose owners manual too).

btty018.jpg

I might have the same question myself. Here is a bad pic of before removing batt. box. But who's to say the prev owner had it right. :huh: (i wanna know why all 4 fuses are 15Amp) (these are good reasons to soon get the real deal Manuf. service manual, suppose owners manual too).

btty018.jpg

Cool thanks for pic... Looks like the metal washer is on top of the battery box and the ground-wire is in between there and the bolt. I had a new circle-terminal ground-wire to connect there... so i assumed at the time that i should have it closer to the frame and have the metal on top of that (aka the order of wire#1,wire#2,washer, batterybox,bolt)... Let me tell you it is a pain to thread it and try to get passed the battery box hole, into the washer, into 1 of the ground-wire circles ends, into my new ground circle terminal, and into the frame. heh hard to line things up under there. I think there is a metal surrounding the battery box hole where the bolt goes through so if you were to put ground-wire on top, then thats where the ground is routed to the frame maybe?, .... So if it does go on top (i might change mine to match yours), electricity goes through that (and not the rest of the rubber around on the battery box.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online