Repairing Starter switch

Emzed
This post is 5160 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again peeps, I've been a "fix it yourself" kinda guy since 1964.

I've had a variety of bikes from British to Japanese, with German and Italian in the mix for good measure.

I must say I have found this forum MOST HELPFUL :thumb:

I have been trying to re-solder the wires onto the contact plate inside the starter switch.

Two of the wires are still attached but I cannot see the colours on the blown up copy of the excellent colour diagram (found through this forum thanks :) )

Does anyone know which colour wires go to which terminals ?

There are 4 wires connected to 2 terminals.

The terminal nearest the actual button has a Blue/Black on the bottom and a Brown on the top ( looking into the switch from the top )

There is a Blue/White wire ( original) which has come adrift and a brown wire which has been added by a previous owner/bodger which is floating about loose !

Does anyone know which wires go to which ?

My best guess would be that the Blue/White goes to the other "bottom" terminal and that there should be another Brown on the empty one :unsure:

This is all I now need to fix :unsure: hopefully to resurect the little beast after wrestling with quite a few other mechanical probs.

I've posted some photos of its progress over the last few months, in the "Garage" section for reference purposes, and have now found out that it is a 250 T ? (I hope ?)

Any help or pointers towards a solution would be most gratefully received.

Ciao4now

Em B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for the link "Oldy".

But I'm afraid it's no more than I already have :-(

I've printed the diagram poster size but its so distorted that I can't read what the wire colours are in the little boxes above the terminals in the starter part of the diagram.

I know the colours are shown there, but they are just too blurred to make them out :-(

I think I'll just go ahead and solder the wires where I "think" they should go and see what happens.

I'll post an update when I have a result either way.

Ciao4now

Em B)

Thanks for the link "Oldy".

But I'm afraid it's no more than I already have :-(

I've printed the diagram poster size but its so distorted that I can't read what the wire colours are in the little boxes above the terminals in the starter part of the diagram.

I know the colours are shown there, but they are just too blurred to make them out :-(

I think I'll just go ahead and solder the wires where I "think" they should go and see what happens.

I'll post an update when I have a result either way.

Ciao4now

Em B)

I can make them out all except the one on the right

left to right

Br,L/B,L/W,??

Cheers Oldy, that's all I can see too :-(

I put the re-soldered switch onto the bike and got no response from the button ?? but as I was moving the switch and wires about (thinking it may need earthing to the bars) the motor started turning over !!

Then it went DEAD and when I checked the mini blade 20 amp fuse (previous owner mod) it had blown.

However, the BROWN wire which has been added by A.N. other must be the other terminal wire ? which I think should be RED & WHITE, as this is the colour of the starter solenoid wire ? and it would need to make a circuit with this to turn the motor over ? As far as I can see, the BLUE/BLACK wire is for a "cut-out switch" possibly activated by the side stand ? and also coupled to the clutch lever for starting in gear ? (these switches are not on the bike) but it seems to make sense to me that the starter would be "isolated" if the sidestand was down ?

Only thing I can't figure, is where this RED/WHITE wire goes from the starter switch ??

Any suggestions ?

As you may have gathered by now, I'm not very "electrically" minded so feel free to treat me as a complete "numpty" and spell out anything which may seem obvious to an experienced tinkerer.

Many thanks for your input so far.

Ciao

Em B)

Cheers Oldy, that's all I can see too :-(

I put the re-soldered switch onto the bike and got no response from the button ?? but as I was moving the switch and wires about (thinking it may need earthing to the bars) the motor started turning over !!

Then it went DEAD and when I checked the mini blade 20 amp fuse (previous owner mod) it had blown.

However, the BROWN wire which has been added by A.N. other must be the other terminal wire ? which I think should be RED & WHITE, as this is the colour of the starter solenoid wire ? and it would need to make a circuit with this to turn the motor over ? As far as I can see, the BLUE/BLACK wire is for a "cut-out switch" possibly activated by the side stand ? and also coupled to the clutch lever for starting in gear ? (these switches are not on the bike) but it seems to make sense to me that the starter would be "isolated" if the sidestand was down ?

Only thing I can't figure, is where this RED/WHITE wire goes from the starter switch ??

Any suggestions ?

As you may have gathered by now, I'm not very "electrically" minded so feel free to treat me as a complete "numpty" and spell out anything which may seem obvious to an experienced tinkerer.

Many thanks for your input so far.

Ciao

Em B)

You know what MZ, I think your reasoning is good there. In fact I think the unreadable teminal id is GROUND

When the switch is in RUN position there is a live feed down the red/white down to the solenoid, passing through the cut ou interlock on the way (in neutral...clutch pulled)

anyway this live feed passes through the solenoid coil and returns back to handlebar switch via white/blue. Now when the start button is pressed it is switched to ground return and thus operates the solenoid.

Least thats how I see it.

...Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll be tackling it again later today (Saturday) so I'll keep you posted

I'm also about to start wrestling with changing the fork oil seals :-( I may need help with that too !

Ciao4now

Em :icon_cool:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online