300 miles and I've killed my DT125

Chocolate Teapot
This post is 5163 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

300 miles in my bike overheats and cuts out, I let it cool down and it restarts great and I get it home.

Following day I start riding it the 8 miles to the workshop to get it looked at and it completely dies and won't restart.

Local workshop has took it apart today and has told me something similar to the piston has smahed a hole in something, like a bullet hole which as a result has damaged other parts and will require new parts and an engine rebuild (debris is in the lower engine)

The parts I can remember he said I need are as follows:

Con rod shaft

Piston rings

Engine rebuild - £180 flat fee

Bearings

Re-bore

Tailpipe to end pipe rubber (this is missing - I knew this already)

Parts will cost £250 approximately £500 altogether as a very rough ball park figure!

He seems a genuine guy and has invited me to come down so he can show me bit by bit what needs doing so I understand fully. Does this seem a reasonable figure? Want it fixing properly but as cheaply as possible as my car has wiped my cash flow out on repairs recently!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No idea, guess it's because the bike hadn't been used for 6+ years before me and it was probably seized, would love to sort it myself but I think it's to big a job for my complete lack of knowledge!

It will still of been a bargain and like the mechanic said it will virtually be a new engine so not feeling to bad about it. Just annoyed I've had a few days missed riding and maybe a while til I can afford to sort it! :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online