IT just wont start.....

Les harris 1959
This post is 5165 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

Ive got a 87-88 Fzr 1000 import that i am currently trying to re-build into a street fighter. the problem im having is getting it to start!

we have replaced the solinoid, the battery, checked all fuzes, the starter switch and no luck! all the lights and electrical parts work such as horn and dash lights but no action when i press the starter switch part from the oil light on the dast comes on! tried bumping and nothing!

Please can somone help as we have no idea!

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you tried 'bridging' the starter, the clutch switch or the side stand safety switches? :unsure:

Cheers,

This may sound like im stupid but do you mean by "bridging" as wiring 1 part out to see if its that part thats causing the problem? I really am stumped and been at it for weeks!

Im only use to re-storing british bikes such as truimph bonnerville and BSA lightning! Part from a salvage XS 1100 i chopped and hard tailed but that was all frame and engine!

Many thanks

use jump leads connected to the battery-two screw drivers on the loose ends of the cables to use to make contact with the posts on the starter motor, or take the starter out and do the same thing, essentialy powering up the starter motor to see if it turns, it could be the brushes inside are knackered-cheap to buy from www.wemoto.co.uk

:)

If when you turn the ignition on and you just get the neutral light and oil warning light but no click of the solenoid then it could be there is a break in the wireing between the starter button and the starter relay. More than likely it's where the wire is connected into the relay. On my divvy it's situated under the seat but i'm not sure where yours is.

Hope this helps

Mike

I had something similar the other day. I was fitting new grips and accidentally pressed the kill switch. I switched it back to on but when I came to start the bike the day after all I got was the neutral light and the oil light but no starter. after switching the kill switch off and then back on it started and has been fine ever since. Must be a bit of a dicky switch.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online