Loris & Max blame each other for incident.....

YamaHead
This post is 7318 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Max Biaggi and Loris Capirossi have blamed each other for their first lap collision at Estoril on Sunday, which saw Biaggi crash out and Capirossi run off track.

After making perhaps the best out of all of his 100 premier-class Grand Prix starts, Capirossi took the holeshot from eleventh on the grid only to be passed a few corners later by Valentino Rossi. As Capirossi was forced wide, Biaggi also tried to sneak through the gap forged by Rossi but had nowhere to go as Capirossi closed the door.

Biaggi began his description of the incident in diplomatic fashion but later laid the blame squarely at the feet of the Ducati rider. "Obviously I’m disillusioned with today’s events, even though I know it’s all part of racing,” he said. “It was an involuntary accident which came about from a misunderstanding with Capirossi.

“He probably had a lot to do on the first lap, he was ahead of everyone from the first bend on the track. He was ahead and detached from the rest and he went very wide, going well outside the normal line on that turn.

Estoril1.jpgEstoril2.jpgEstoril3.jpg

“I was right behind and with Loris going wide, as well as slowly, I held my line as he closed the throttle suddenly. Trying not to crash into him I jammed on the brakes so hard that my rear tyre left the ground. We made contact then and I crashed.”

Capirossi’s opinion, however, was that eagerness had got the better of Biaggi, who tried to make the pass at the wrong time. "I started great, then took some big risks to get into turn one first," he explained. "It was a pity that Max tried to pass me so soon - he could have waited for a better place to attack.

Unlike Biaggi, Capirossi was able to recover from the incident, returning to the track in 20th place but mounting a stunning charge through the field to clinch seventh at the end of the race.

“Once I had regained the track I started my comeback, passing a lot of riders, but the leaders were too far ahead, so I just made sure I maintained my position. My pace was close to the leaders' which proves we are improving the bike, though we still have work to do."

Biaggi’s first dnf of the season means he now trails Rossi by 51 points in the championship and severely damages his chances of winning the title with just five rounds remaining.

“It’s a shame, I was in the right shape to do a good race,” lamented Biaggi. “I don’t want to think about the championship at the moment, but it’s obvious the situation is very difficult now. There are still five races left however and we will wait to see what happens."

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If there's anyone to blame it would be Biaggi, however tbh I think it was simply a racing incident.

Full credit to Cappirossi though for his performance :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online