to re-jet or not to re-jet ? that is the question

littlepig
This post is 5166 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ola yamaheads hope all is well,

ok so heres where things are,iv'e fitted the straight through highwayhawk pipes,iv'e ordered the 18 tooth front sproket,ive ordered a set of iridium plugs(just for good measure).Now i'm wondering wether or not to up the jet to 100.I'm really not into changing air filters as has mixed results.Have been following a few threads regarding this mod but no conclusion.If anyone can help me out i'd be chuft.cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if you have the highway hawks on then best put a 97.5 or a 100 size jet in so the engine dont run too lean, all it will do is compensate for the "free flow" of the exhaust so no noticeable power gains, plus if you did re-jet for performance all you would get is a little more torque and probably do more harm than good. (iv managed to re-jet 2 engines and both the cranks have gone due to the engine not coping with the extra force) but do a plug check and adjust your carb to suit!! otherwise ul have loads of problems later on!

Custom pipes...

Many self-modders claim you don't have to re-jet.

Every mechanic I've ever spoken to has either advised re-jetting, or sighed and shaken their head when they that someone hasn't re-jetted.

Who ya gonna believe.

My own personal mech keeps telling the other half that she ought to re-jet. Has even told her which ones to get, how to fit them etc. No personal gain for him, just good, honest advice.

Who ya gonna believe.

sorry should of been clearer id say you need to put a 97.5 or 100 size jet in

and by performance re-jetting i mean sticking something like a 120 main jet in to try and get more power, but as iv said it can do more harm than good so bet not go over a 100 size. B)